Venue suggestion anyone?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
First I should introduce myself to you guys. I'm a 'lapsed' carper from 20 years ago and I have just realised the error of my ways!

I have a week off work soon and I'm looking for a ticket venue for a Mon- Fri session. Don't want anything too easy or rock-hard; good chance of a take or two would be nice with the chance of a good fish. I'm considering Waveney Valley Lakes which I fished 20 years ago and is probably about right for difficulty. I live near Manchester but as Waveney is OK travelling shouldn't be a problem!

Any suggestion will be gratefully received.

Thanks guys

Harry Potter

Reaction score
Try selby 3 lakes........a group of us have just had a session there. Top lake and a decent manager!

G

Golden Balls

Ric,
Depends on what your hoping for, give us some more info coz there's loads of places locally, high stocks of 10lb-16lb or siting it out for the bigger ones?

C

Cakey

Just back from Selby and Waveney the week before .
Both are very good places.
Both are now very pressured and fairly hard so you need to work for your fish.
E me if you want more details.

A

andrew jackson

Personaly I would go for Selby if you are prepared to work for it, and be a little mobile results can be stunning. Besides this your costs will be down and this saving can be ploughed into a good quantity of quality bait, or having a meal delivered to the lake.

S

Stuart Johnson

I'm after a day ticket easy/plenty of runs water to get back into the swing of things. The water does not need to hold bigger ones, up to mid doubles is fine.

Any details with regards to sutable venues will be welcome.

I live nr Stockport.

Thanks

A

andrew jackson

Hi Stuart how about Roman Lakes at Marple. Although far from hard it does respond to good angling as the fish have seen it all over the years. Get it right and the fishing can be very prolific, with fish to low 20s.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far. As regards the degree of difficulty I'm after; perhaps expect one or two takes per 24 hours average? I do realise this is bordering on easy. Regarding size i'm happy with good doubles and the chance of a twenty.

Since I posted this thread I've been looking at Linear's web site and this looks appealing. Saying that it is difficult for me to guage if the difficulty is what I'm looking for. Any opinions anyone?

The Selby fishery sounds interesting, I have read lots about it in the past but didn't realise it was a ticket water. Can anyone advise on ticket prices and availablity, bans or anything else that might be of interest?

Thanks again.

L

Les Clark

Hi Ric,?15@24hr,look on:Selby3lakes.co.uk
for ban`s ect.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Thanks Les that seems reasonable and with the reduced travelling time it's looking favourite. I see some of you have been on a fish-in on there; is there anything to be avoided e.g heavy baiting etc etc?

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Thanks Cakey, in that case I can probably afford one of those chinese takeaways they mention on the website!

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
Ric,
Give us a shout when your thinking of going
and I'll find out the going methods at that time, got a few mates who know the water quite well, can be a bit peggy, but the fish respond to the majority of tactics(usually).Lee(Golden Balls) will be right up to scratch with the water anyway

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
Stuart, are you in the market for a season ticket/club membership? if so look at the Lymme ticket, especially Belmont pool, it's
20mins from Stockport(thats where I am)
my mob no is 07904 456948 if you want to give me a call and I'll put you onto a few waters.

S

Stuart Johnson

Andrew, it must be 25 years since I last looked in on Roman Lakes. Things might of changed since I was last there so I might give it a go.

Ozz Buchan

Reaction score
OK Stu no prob,
For info, Golden Balls(lee)is fishing Roman Lakes fairly often, still weedy and still
has some of the original stock of fish.
his biggest has gone 18lb off the top

A

andrew jackson

Its a long while since I fished Romans but I have been hearing good things of late. Perhaps as a result of the weed and natural reductions in the stock, the fish are now putting on weight for the first time for many years.
One thing I would put some money on is that the fish still have the same habbits and patrol routes.
Perhaps its time I make my reaquantence with the Romans carp and see if they still like me. :)

G

Golden Balls

They still patrol across the road bank, the best place to be fishing on there if you can reach it is to cast to the middle of the bank under the overhanging bushes. Alot of people have been taking them on zig rigs about 30 yards out approx 5 inches from the surface feeding mixers over the top.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Ozz

I never realised there are so many Carp anglers in Stockport! Yes, i'm another....

Thanks for the offer of help with 3 Lakes. I'll give you a shout nearer the time as I'm going a week today.

Roman Lakes eh? I used to fish it a lot about 20-25 years ago. Had my first double there, good memories! Is it still owned by the same people? strange bunch eh?