Bolognese rods?

F

Fred Bonney

Is it a pole with reel fittings or what?Advice please and any thoughts on their use.Do you have one?

W

Wag

No you silly bu$$er, theyre made out of pasta. Yo can get 'em in Tesco in packets of a thousand. Very tasty too.

Really, the lad next door to me has one. It's a 6m long telescopic rod with one ring on each section, and reel fittings, so it's a sort of cross between a whip and a rod. He uses it a lot at a local pond for roach, skimmers etc. using very delicate pole floats and rigs, but it also gives him a chance with the bigger carp that are in there as well, as you can give line as required - not possible with a whip or pole.
He swears by it, but I'm not sure if it's the best of both worlds, or the worst.

F

Fred Bonney

But have you ever tried fixing them together?(the Tesco jobs that is)
The reason I asked is I am looking to buy an 18 foot rod,but the Bolog may deal with a multitude of sins ie.fishing light and/or fishing deep!

W

Wag

Having watched someone else using one I think they are great for close in work, but they look really difficult to cast with, especially in anything more than a gentle breeze.
I thought a bolo rod used with a centrepin might be a good idea, the length giving good control of a float in a flowing river, but pehaps one of the new multi-length rods which have butt extensions might be a better option.

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks Carl,I suppose I should try and have a look at one,seems to me they are effectively a whip with a reel.

W

Wag

Fred, I did find this:-
Abu 18ft
Might help.
I've seen a lot of good reviews for the Preston Innovations CarbonActive 15/17ft rods as well, and I know Harrison do a 15/17ft blank, but they are not cheap at ?180 - ?200.

W

Wag

Or the MAP Matchteks which go up to 20ft as well, they seem to be around ?160. Look here:-
MAP 15/18/20
These look a good buy, 'cos they are usable at three lengths from 15ft.

F

Fred Bonney

...now then priorities,good job the missus don't read this,?80 life jacket,15-20'rod ?160,that Carp rod,the Fox Warrior looks good for a starter, ah well,probably have to go out and work for a living again!

W

Wag

You could send her out to work while you go fishing.

I'd put a crash helmet on that shopping list before you tell her though!

S

Shrek

Fred, I personally wouldn't buy a bolognese rod for river work. The problem that you get is the line sticking to the blank as the rings are so far apart. If the rod gets wet through rain, or just from river water, you have an annoying problem on your hands.

I'd go with the MAP rods like Carl suggested as they look excellent VFM. Just need to be careful with the weight of them too as they can get unwieldy if they are top heavy.

Hope this helps in your quest for a longer length.

F

Fred Bonney

Adrian,I am sure it won't help my quest for a longer length,although the amount of emails I get offering an extension, do keep coming ;0)
Your comments though,do give me even more reason to go for the MAP 18/20,thanks.

B

Birds Nest

Fred. Give used tackle a ring, thed did have some of the maps for about 80 notes i think...

F

Fred Bonney

Birds Nest,thanks,have you their number please,I just passed my AM on the the pensioner next door,didn't notice it in there advert!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I used a Milo 7m bolognese rod for a few seasons and have to say that I was most unhappy with the design and the overall "feel" of the rod.

Others have mentioned the problems associated with poor casting due to insufficient guides etc.
Also, once wet line does tend to stick to the blank making even more problems for casting, line mending and therefore presentation.

Eventually I opted for an MAP 15/20 feet bolo' rod.
The problem with that was after less than one season of use I had an accident with the top section resulting in a break. Despite many calls to MAP I got no satisfaction either for a free, or paid for replacement, being told, "we have stopped production of that model, as we have found a more suitable (cheaper?) blank supplier"

So, I ended up with a rod that was totally unusable with no satisfaction from the so called manufacturer.

That was the last piece of tackle I ever bought from MAP.

So, a word of warning, make sure that prior to buying that you have at least some indication of how long a period of time MAP, or whoeverelse you chose, will maintain stocks of replacement sections.

Geoff Strutt

Reaction score
Have been taking note of the words of wisdom on here as have been thinking of getting a bolo,after seeing one used with great success stalking under trees, and I now have one.
Have used 20ft rod for trotting with good results and a cheap 6mtr elasticated tele whip 4 margins work also worked well but heavy.
Due to remarks on here have fitted bolo out with a fly reel floating 7wt line with 2ft 18 pole elastic fitted to end terminated with a large bead and connecter to fit pole rigs, hows that for a crazy set up,but this is from a bloke that uses plastic ducks for carp & pike fishing.will try it out end of week and tell u what went wrong. Have ordered closed face reel to try with it as well.

W

Wolfman Woody

Bolognese style fishing suddenly became popular over here in the early 90s when (I think it was) Italy won the World Championships with them. Every matchmen in the country wanted one and tackle manufacturers gladly obliged. Except that, the rush ended as soon as it began and there were loads of them left on shop's shelves.

What did happen was the serious players adapted the standard match rod to suit the same style, eg. MAP, Preston, Middy, etc. Andy Nellist was using a 17 foot Preston on the Thames once, with Mark Wintle having the odd go (for a few hours) and I saw soem benefits. Like, you can reach out further steer a stick float around a clump of reeds.

However, the cost of long rods is quite prohibitive, but I managed to pick up a 16 - 18 foot Middy (carp waggler - everything's bl**dy carp with them) for £50 brand new off eBay. It has two tips one for trotting and another for those bl**dy carp again. It's damned heavy to hold all day and has limited use, I use the 11ft rod more often, and you might find the PReston a lot more comfortable.

Cost though? Go on Fred, rich man like you can afford it.