cyprinid hybrids

S

Stu Black

Can all cyprinid species produce hybrids? I know we get roach/bream, roach/rudd, Rudd/bream, and crucian/goldfish hybrids, but could you get for instance carp/tench or carp/bream or tench/bream hybrids??

Probably a stupid question, but its bothering me!

Cheers,

Stu

B

bob gutts

I've had a couple of what we believe are chub/roach hybrids on my local river.

I don't know how common this is, I've not heard of chub/roach before. Anyone else had any?

P

Paul Williams

I have been rooting about for an e mail i had from a guy who knows more about this sort of thing but i can't find it!!!!
Basically it is a reply to a request for info with regard to exactly this question, which makes it very frustrating to lose it.........it was during the roach/hybrid debate that i asked for his views ( you know the multi hit debate that the AM decided to call "whispers"!!!!, heads and richard come to mind!)
I think the gist was that there is always the possibility of similar species or groups interbreeding but it becomes less likely the further the habits of the species seperate.....eg. spawning times, favoured spawning locations etc ( after watching fish in my tank my personal view is similar looks helps too)the less likely hybridisation has of occuring.
Hybridisation is a bit of a hot potatoe at the moment Stu.......what really intrigues me though is that not one of the captors of fish that have become items of debate have ever said " i have retained a scale or two for possible DNA testing"( though one brave soul did call his tremedous "roach" suspect!)...........because it is a little "hot" it may be a little slow in getting any response!

A

Ashe Hurst

Info i have gives a brief defenition and picture.

Roach/Bream
Chub/bleak
Bream/Orfe
Bream/Rudd
Roach/Rudd
Roach/Bleak
Dace/Bleak
Dace/Rudd
Carp/Crucian
Brown trout/Brook char

No known;

Barbel
tench
Perch
pike
minnow
Gudgon
Eel
Ruffe
Grayling
Silver bream
wels catfish
zander
Bullhead

as far as im aware, gold fish , Golden rudd, golen orfe, koi and Ghost are not separate species but from selective breading over many years.

Must say, in about 1990 i was fishing a pond.
what i caught was about 2lb, Crucian shaped, no barbels, however was a distinctive light brown with dark markings on the head and face, similar to that of a ghost and blood red pectoral,pelvic and anal fins, with a red tinge to the caudal fin.
Any suggestions?

A

Andy Nellist

In the UK there are two groups amongst which the members can hybridise with each other as follows:

Roach
Rudd
Bream
Silver Bream
Chub
Bleak
Dace

Carp
Crucian Carp
Brown Goldfish

Some hybrids are far more common than others the most common being Roach/Bream and Roach/Rudd and some are very rare e.g. hybrids with Dace. Chub/Roach are rare but I've seen photo's of them from the Wye up to 3lb 14oz and from the Thames to around 3lb. In both cases the fish looked more like Roach than Chub.

In experiments hybrids have been bred to create post f1 hybrids including triple hybrids such as Roach/Bream/Rudd. This may happen in the wild which means that there could be some strange fish out there. Using genetic testing it is possible to identify that a fish is a hybrid but it may be very difficult to say exactly what its ancestry is.

S

Stu Black

Cheers guys, interesting stuff! Part of the reason I ask is that the carp I caught at Selby is really strange looking, Its got a tench head, and everyones commented on it. Any thoughts?

A

Ashe Hurst

U been sniffing that Corn Steep hav'nt you?

On a seriouse note, do you have any quality pics of it? And are there other reports of similar catches at this venue?

Info i have suggests that carp and Tench cant cross breed and that there are known cases.