leadcore

V

vince battams

What is the lowest breaking strain advisable to use with leadcore?

D

David Will

Zero Vince , terrible stuff, doesn't do anything you can't achieve with slack lines or flying backlead.Looking forward to some alternative views though ;)

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
Hi Vince, firstly Graham wasn't at the Selby doo so I havent't given him any bait for you. Give me a few days to settle back in here at work and send me your address etc as I'm air drying some as we speak.

Regarding leadcore, I don't use it and have no need for it in my fishing. If I want a protected line then I'd opt for shrink tubing from Maplins and then slip on a couple of Nash fly back leads and glue them.

If you are intent on using leadcore then why worry about the breaking strain of your line which will be (i'd imagine) a good 3 foot back towards your rod.

C

Chrisx Ess

Vince, perhaps you're concerned about the far higher breaking strain of the leadcore as opposed to any feasible mainline. The advantage of leadcore is that it sinks completely into silt, which helps with self-hooking. I always use it myself. I don't want my terminal tackle to float about just off the bottom, which I fear it could do with the various tubes on the market. They could be cut very short to make sure no air is trapped I suppose. I don't really like snakeskin-type stuff. I sometimes use leadcore as a hooklink - something suggested by Stuart if I remember correctly. It's worked for me. But you have to be careful - even the leadcore - with the lead taken out - doesn't sink properly and flutters around all over the place.

C

Chrisx Ess

To give an answer to your actual question, I use either 15lb and 17lb mainline. The important thing with leadcore is to be careful about constructing safe rigs and using them safely.

On this point, I've found a safe way to keep the hooklink from shooting up the line when using a helicopter rig with leadcore. I pierce a big float rubber with a gated baiting needle, and thread this on to the leadcore above the hooklink. It works really well. I often use a 2oz method feeder on my heli rigs, and one of these is heavy enough to just push the float rubber, if you turn the rig upside down. No chance of trapping a fish of any size with that...

D

David Will

No chance of trapping a fish of any size with that...
Assuming that the lead core is in a nice straight line when the mainline breaks and the rubber float stop will go over the connection between lead core and mainline.Sadly lead core can and does kink around snags etc.My advice to anyone who uses the stuff is to chuck a rig in a bush and then try and retreive it.Then ask yourself if you owned a lake full of Carp you had reared or payed for would you want leadcore being used.There is nothing you cannot do to tubing that lead core can improve on.Leadcore was used on venues originally because there were no other leaders that could cope with things like mussels.Latterly it is used to disguise end tackle .Now we having sinking rig tube , putty and so on plus decent snag leaders it should be redundant.I hate bans but make an exception with lead core not to mention the mark up which is about 200% by Korda Esp etc.

C

Chrisx Ess

David W: Maybe somebody could post up a CLEAR description of what you mean, with illustrations, on the rig page then? Does sinking rig tube not hold any air? Even short lengths will surely trap some air, and thus float off the bottom. Mono loops around all over the place, and braid tangles too easily. I have complete confidence in leadcore.

What I described earlier will very easily pass over a knot and loop at the top of the rig. That was the point in my mentioning it. In fact it actually functions better all round than a loose bead, which I hold with a piece of soluble foam whan casting. I wouldn't use or recommend anything I thought might be unsafe for the fish. The other factor is to use line that's strong enough for the circumstances. I've NEVER lost a leadcore rig - I use either 17lb or 15lb line with it. If I was fishing over rocks or known sharp snags I wouldn't use it, nor would I use any other braids. I accept there is a residual risk - but there always is!
Perhaps somebody could come up with a leadcore or similar with mono running THROUGH it, somewhat like the tube, which I don't believe could be relied on to sink.
Having said all that, I retain an open mind. If I'm shown a better idea I WILL use it. I certainly have no objection to ESP, (I make up my own leadcore leaders), Korda or any other company making money from angling. It all helps to protect fishing from the depredations of PETA and the like.

I

Ian Whittaker

The answer to your initial question Vince is to use the strongest line that you can get away with.

D

Dave Rothery

david
i use 40lb leadcore with 30lb braid mainline. this way i know that if i have to pull for a break (which i have probably done twice in 5 years) it will break at the leadcore. if you use the knot which keith moors came up with, the knot is actually thinner than the leadcore, so no chance of any beads snagging.
i appreciate what your saying about fish safety - presumably your hooklengths are weaker than your mainline? you never use shockleaders? ( no matter how small the knot, no bead will ever slide over a lump of weed) and you trim any "anti tether" beads so that the lead comes off on the take? even if you do all that, what happens if the line snaps 50 yards out on a 100yd cast? you can only make a rig as safe as possible - they will NEVER be totally safe.
albert romp popularised the use of leadcore to conceal the mainline (though he didn't "invent" it. 200% mark up isnt that big a mark up in the fishing world!!

R

Rob Savage

d.w-are you sure?how do you thread a rod-length of tubing then?

D

David Will

A few facts, leadcore banned on Horseshoe as 90% of tethered fish tethered on one sort of leadcore rig or another, Orchid leadcore banned due to tethered fish, RMC waters anglers now suffer the indignity of rig checks , why ? ,you guessed it tethered fish due to leadcore.
If all of us had to witness a dead fish as I have twice now because what should be a perfectly safe rig is rendered lethal because of leadcore I am sure attitudes to it would change.
Twelve foot of leadcore weighs around 2oz , would you consider tying a two ounce lead to a rig , leadcore is just the same spread over 12 foot Rob.

D

Dave Rothery

yeah, but they also said that it was banned because of the mis-use of the few. horseshoe also banned tigers through mis-use, i assume you approve of this? after all, they affect the health of all fish...

M

Mike Lee

I can't recall ever cracking off on the cast when using my bait boat.
I use leadcore on a regular basis and although I strongly believe that everyone is entitled to their opinions I can't understand why blanket bans are imposed due to the actions of a minority of people.
Like Dave, I use 30lb braid to 40lb leadcore. I have had weeded fish swim out of the weed and I have had to go out in a boat for them at times.
I've lost one fish in a snag which has left the business end knitted through the branches - again retrieved by boat. The 15lb merlin snapped at the knotless knot.
Whats the problem?
Whilst we're at it, lets ban religion, politics, fags and booze - they alledgedly cause harm to people!

C

Cakey

Mike,blanket bans are there because that one idiot could kill the fish of your dreams.

D

Dave Rothery

ban monkey climbers - fish have been dropped on them before.
ban particles - over use is bad for their health
ban maggots - as above (ammonia problems)
ban back leads
ban line more than 10lb
ban line less than 10lb
no braid (mainline or hooklentgh)
no artificial baits
no fish oils in bait
no pellets
etc
etc
etc

M

Mike Lee

Do we ban cars because some idiot goes berserk and mows another person down? - NO

Do we ban guns because some idiot goes berserk and mows another person down? - NO

Do we ban the sale of lawn mowers because some idiot goes berserk and mows another person down? - NO

I'm trying to keep it kinda lighthearted here but for crying out loud!

Society has historically made individuals responsible for their own actions.

Why is it in fishing that we are all made to suffer for one individual's actions? IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!

'Mike,blanket bans are there because that one idiot could kill the fish of your dreams.'

In all seriousness Cakey me ole mate, I strongly disagree with with what you posted there.

Would a blanket ban of cars, guns and lawn mowers make sense to you because one idiot could kill the spouse/child of my dreams?

See my point and why I get all excited about it?