air drying boilies

C

Chrisx Ess

I've just discovered that if you have thawed-out frozen boilies, you can air-dry them and they will keep afterwards. Has anyone any experience of this? Are they any good afterwards?

Also, I cooked up various particles for hookbait - maize, maples, tigers, peanuts, tares - which have all started to ferment. How much of a problem is this? I read somewhere on here that carp like alcohol. Is this true? Or should I chuck 'em all away?

M

Mike Lee

Fermented particles? Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Fish love 'em like this Chris, gloopy and smelly is best!
Use them with confidence my friend.

G

Glen Howell

Air dried boilies will soak in lake water and swell up when you use them. One suggestion I have seen is to put the air dried boilies into the water used to boil hempseed.
I haven't tried it myself but I think it was in an old Carpworld article.

B

Birds Nest

V good, dry em out drill a hole in 'em and keep them in a glug.. mmm

M

Malcolm Bason

I glug mine too!

Off to france carping on friday, for a week, I have air-dried around 10 kilos of boilies, and I have several pots of glug with all the flavours in them! That way they re-hydrate with their particular flavour, instead of just taking on lake water.

C

Chrisx Ess

Thanks for the response guys...I don't know if it's a problem but I live in a flat and have nowhere to leave anything hanging around outside. I'm going to try leaving them in an old landing net hanging on my bike.

Has anyone got any more remarks to contribute about fermented particles? Good ones, bad ones, etc...?

Has anyone else tried fermenting boilies? I stored some cream cajousers in honey for several months. I caught one fish with them, but didn't feel confident enough to persevere. They smelt wonderful - a mixture of baileys and mead...very strong alcoholic scent, but I wasn't sure it was a good idea.

A related question I have is about glugs.
What do such things as liquid Trigga actually do? I've got some Trigga with a fruity flavour added...but why not just use a spray? This is a general question, about glugs in general, as it were. I can see the point in re-hydrating dried boilies with it. But why use glugs to do this? Perhaps they add some kind of attraction by osmosis - but is it REAL attraction?
Do they all have some kind of flavour? At about ?7.50 a shot I can't afford to experiment!

G

Glen Howell

Chris,

You can always try drying them out in the airing cupboard if you want to speed up the process.

I have used fermented maples and tigers, both work really well on the lake that I fish.

You can use anything to glug your air dried baits. The objective is that the flavour leaks out again in the water. Some people believe that the extra leakage attracts fish to the hookbait. Other people do the opposite and soak their hookbaits in lake water to give the impression that they have been in the lake for days. The choice is yours and the success rate will depend on the lake you are fishing....

As with all of these things, you need to test it out for yourself on your water.

Andy Young

Reaction score
The article Glenn is on about,Rehydrating Baits, I believe, was by Shaun Harrison in Carpworld around August(ish)

A great article and it promoted a lot of thought, but different waters...... as above

N

nick austin

The particle question is interesting, i made a huge gloop of particle mix a couple of years back for my winter attck! (lol)...but the mix (partiblend, pellet, seed, hemp etc...) also started to ferment and ended smelling really quite cheesy~!...in the end i was worried that the mix would be dangerous to spod out into the lake for fear of killing fish with it! so i chucked it! was i worrying too much?

L

Les Clark

Nick,yes you are,see Mike Lee`s posting above,he say`s it all.

C

Chrisx Ess

I've now got a tub of cooked particles that I keep adding to each week, as I use them up. The smell keeps changing. Sometimes it smells like half-brewed beer, sometimes it smells like cider. My tub contains hemp, maples, pearl barley,sweetcorn and maize.

I'd like to say it's doing me some good, but I just keep right on blanking! Still, tomorrow's another day...I don't just go carping, mind.