Reels

Reaction score
Ok so I've just got myself a new Avon rod and was wondering when I replace my old Mitchell 208 should I get a reel with a bait runner feature or stick with a fixed spool. There's very little difference in price with some of the Okuma's. Is it worth getting the feature so its available or is it better to buy another reel for this. I will be float and feeder fishing etc with my Avon rod.

Any suggestions

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Baitrunners are generally associated with Carp and bolt rigs. Having said that I bought 2 Okuma Dynadrag 050 reels for ?19.99 each with a spare spool and have found them excellent. A baitrunner is NOT required for float fishing.

Reaction score
But are they of use for feeder and ledgering?

The Okuma Interceptor and Epix are available in both fix spool or bait runner, the price is only a few quid or so different, so would it be worth getting the feature in-case I ever need it or would it be better to just get a fixed spool.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is why make two reels at a similar price, but give one an extra feature, after all you don't have to switch the bait runner on.

It just adds to my confusion when choosing a reel to start with.

C

Chrisx Ess

Buy the bait runner! I agree with Richard - at ?19.99 Okuma dynadrags are amazing. You'll find uses for it if you've got it. It does help with float fishing. When you're retrieving your tackle, you can easily adjust the length of line to catch the hook or float without any fiddling about.

D

Dave O'L

Baitrunner is useful David.
Very handy for bouncing a worm on the bottom downstream.
Ledgering a worm where you need to give a little line sensitively but with control in windy conditions.

S

Stuart Harvey

The Cormaxx BR's are good too and really compact and small.

R

Rodney Wrestt

I'd go for the Bait feeder as well, it will be handy for the occasional big fish session.

S

Shrek

David, If you're going to be using your Avon Rod for feeder fishing too (I presume it also have a quiver tip section to allow this), I think you'd find the bait runner option very usable. If for instance, you're using "the Method" style, takes from this can be quite savage. I'm sure with the bait runner on and set fairly freely, you'll hit more bites and, possibly, lose less rods too.

Just a thought. Let us know what you go for and how you get one with it. Always good to get some feedback from advice given.

Adrian

Reaction score
Yeah I've got some quiver tips for my avon rod so I should be ok. As for the reel, I was tempted by the Okuma Interceptor but I may just go with the DynaDrag as It seems to get a good press from all who've used it.

R

Ron Clay

Okuma reels are excellent value for the money. The only criticism I have is that they tend to look a bit too flashy.

S

Stuart Harvey

Have a look at the Cormaxx BR25. It holds 100yds of 6lb line perfectly and is really small and compact. Whats more its extremely smooth and only costs ?20.

You can also get BR30 and BR35, which are the bigger versions.