Bait

A

Andy Rooke

hi lads
what altenative baits do you use than boilies and why?
andy

R

Rob Brownfield

Bread (crust/flake) because I see carp feeding amoungst the ducks.
Prawns/cockles as they are a good stalking bait.
Lobworms, again, for stalking.
All kinds of paste from Trout pellet through to high protein ones (See early version of Maddocks Carp Fever)

M

Malcolm Bason

By asking that question i take it you mean for carp? Well, as Rob says floating bread, either crust of flake, corn over a bed of hemp, and a good fall back is good old luncheon meat - which can be flavoured you you don't at first succeed, curry powder and so on, and i also use paste a fair bit - often trout pellets ground down using the missus mixer add an egg or two on the morning your going and if necessary wet your hands for a little bit of extra moisture each time you apply it to the hook if its not binding quite right. I'll sometimes try a cocktail of meat and corn, and try varying the groundbait mix - try monster crab mix and some x-seed. Hope this helps.

M

Malcolm Bason

Sorry, I didn't answer why? Well, why not? It depends on the water really Andy, but normally with me its a case of trial and error. If I don't know a particular water, I'll usually ask if possible what works, etc, and try different baits on different sessions, or try a different one on each rod till i find out for myself. Whatever works, I stick with it, until I catch no more, and try something else, and so on. I cannot give a more specific reason thatn that, I'm afraid, but then I'm still a beginner really! Some of these boys on here will able to give you more specific reasons I'm sure??? And you might help me a bit too?

C

Carp Angler

what do you use then Andy?

Myself......
hookbaits.....all either plain or flavoured
luncheon meat
sausage meat pastes
corn
maize
pellets (hard and hookable)
pellet paste
hemp (uncooked and eihter Bogied or glued to a cork ball)
maples
tigers
chick peas
worms
maggots
casters
boilie pastes
bread (flake, crust or paste)
mixer (or suitable floating pet food)
prawns
Pepperami
cheese (hard and soft)
cheese paste
That's about it on a day session.
I might have missed some out.

Loosefeed........
anything that I think the carp will eat, which means just about anything even slightly edible.

C

Carp Angler

Forgot the why.....

Because being different can be an advantage.
Present the carp with a feeding situation it isn't used to and it will slip up.
15 loose boilies around a 2" pop-up is probably spook city to most carp.

R

Ron Clay

Right, who has caught fish on really unusual baits?

From my side I have caught catfish on a piece of puffadder and scorpion, as well as carp on a baboon spider (they are the common African trapdoor spider and are large and hairy)

I have also caught vundu on soap. (You should see the suds rising to the surface when you get a take)

A

Andy Rooke

hi does anyone use misshaped boilies?
rooky [smile]

A

Andy Rooke

just wonering, because sometimes a diffrent dhaped boilie has worked to produce runs wondering if anyone else has to?

C

Carp Angler

Your original question was about baits other than boilies.
I've used non spherical boilies for many years.
Nashys new F1 was made available to fieldtesters in cylindrical form because of the demand.
See one of previous bait articles on non-round baits
Bait Article

D

Darren Wilson

SSSHHHHHH Rik, don't let out all the secrets mate :):):):):)

Only joking. Nash Fieldtesters were taking venues apart on F1 cylinders over chopped baits. Very productive method on waters where the carp have seen nearly everything.

C

Carp Angler

You know there's no secrets in carping anymore mate.

Unless those guys near you at Huntingdon LS come up with a new monkey brain additive and then I want to know about it.

D

Darren Wilson

They have already Rik, but it needs a bit of fine tuning before it gets let out to the Field Testers :):)

I know there are no secrets anymore, unless someone asks you to keep it that way.