Licence evaision

A

Ashe Hurst

I checked out the Environment Agencies web site. Over the bank holiday weekend over 6oo anglers in the South east had their licence checked.

Out of these 600 odd, over 70 had no licence or couldnt provide one at that given time.

I wont fish without a licence, even if it has run out and im late renewing it.
However the EA did send me Reel life and it reminded me.

I think this point has been argued before, but as it is with car Tax , No log book and driving licence, no Tax disc.

Or, No National Rod Licence, No bait or Tackle.
A lot of clubs request a photo copy of your licence before they give you membership.

Would this work in tackle shops, catalogues or internet orders?

Could a system be found?

I

ian jay

A few weeks after I moved to Prague I set about getting the papers I needed to fish here. I was soon on the rivers, getting to grip with the carp, and one morning, to my amazement, I was approacked by a guy who was dressed like a member of an American SWAT team - black jump suit, black beret and big black boots, wearing an official badge.

I explained that I was not a local, and had not yet learned the language. He spoke a little English, and told me he was a 'fishing policeman' (bailiff) and asked to see my papers.

After checking them, he thanked me and asked about the fisdhing. He was a really helpful and friendly guy, and gave me the local info.

He also explained that for those with no papers, he confiscates the tackle. If they refuse, he is soon on his mobile and the local police, who also have the authority to check anglers, will soon arrive to assist him. (Don't imagining it happening in the UK!)

These bailiffs are unpaid, but I guess they have a lot of used kit to dispose of. I am not suggesting that this system be adopted in the UK, but mention it as an example of how other countries deal with the prooblem.

BTW, most of the waters, both course and game, are controlled by one National club here. No Riperian rights, although there are a few private waters.

L

Les Clark

No national rod licence say`s it all,what tackle dealer in their right mind, is not going to sell you gear,becouse you have`nt got a rod licence?.
what about granny buying for her grandson,is she going to be refused?.

M

Mark Birchall

Last bank holiday i had my license checked by the EA and got chating to the guy and he told me that there are only 200 odd baliffs for the whole of england so no wonder people don't buy one, Saying this he and a colleague walked round the lake in a pincer type movement and caught seven anglers without a license or at least did not have it to hand.
I truly believe that if tackle dealers were to be an outlet for them like the good old days this may reduce the ammount of offenders, Another thing would possibly be to allow clubs to include the price of a rod license into the membership of the waters they fish but then i suppose if you joined two diffrent clubs you would have to pay for two licenses. Ohhhh I don't know there are always going to be a few that spoil it for the masses.

A

Ashe Hurst

Fare point Les, i do understand and can agree with what you say.

With the amount of licence evaision going on a lot of revenue is lost.

The government cut funding to the EA.

How much of anglers licence money goes on fishing, fishery improvements, research?
Do we pay for bailiffs?
Do we subsidise other EA departments?

Im lead to belive that very few bailiffs are employed and that wages are poor.
Some are only part time and others volunteers.
Also when i do come across Staff in EA vehicals along my local river, they dont seem to know much as they from other departments or contractors.
And as for bailiffs, I have never seen one on my local river in 10 years and only once on my local lake.

Is it any wonder that some anglers dont bother with a licence if they know the chances of getting checked are remote.

I pay my fees on the understanding that it will be used to improve and protect fisheries and angling. And as a coarse angler it goes back into coarse fishing.

And what ever system we have on licence issue and checks, some will as always disreguard the rules.

So the government and EA must find a amicable solution in consultation with anglers or stop going on about licence evaision when every one knows that they cant police it.

The EA do a great job and under the present restrictions and they must feel like they have one hand tied behind thier back.

D

Dave Slater

A few good ideas mentioned in this thread. Perhaps there could be a facility for clubs to take rod license money with the club subs. It could be an extra line on the renewal form. I also agree that it would be a good idea for tackle dealers to issue licenses again. I don't know why this was stopped. Anglers frequent tackle shops far more often than post offices. The facility to buy licenses on-line via the EA website is very useful. I used this method this year as I was housebound following an operation. The small charge for postage is very reaonable when offset against the time spent going to the post office and queing. It is always a good idea to get into the habit of buying new licences on 1st April each year. There is then less chance of forgetting.

Darren Wainwright

Reaction score
Ok, hows this for a simple solution to start the problems from going away.

What if there was a law that say all commercial fisheries should check their anglers license before issuing a day ticket? No license then no day ticket..

I know it wont make all the problems go away, but it would sure as hell make a great start seeing as there are so many comm fisheries.

Just a thought.....

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
It is not up to people in the industry to police the sale of licences. it is highly unrealistic and unfeasible. That said anyone who doesn't buy a licence is s******g on their own doorstep. If you take money out of angling then you are sabotaging its future. One of the big plus points in angling is the revenue created by licences for conserving our waterways and fish stocks. It's one of the best arguments we have in that if you ban angling then who will pick up the tab for the EA ? The very existence of clean rivers and good fish stocks is due to anglings contribution. I'm sorry for preaching to the converted but i can't believe in these times of controversy people will not support angling by purchasing a licence. it saddens me.
cheers

Darren Wainwright

Reaction score
So once again, why dont the people/companies that directly gain from the EA licence money, the rivers/commercial fisheries, check we have an upto date licence before issuing our Day ticket?

The selling of the licence should stay firmly with the post office and EA, they are both accessable enough for all and it's a daft excuse if people say they are not.

I simply think the EA need help in checking them. 200 bailifs just is not enough. And once again the best way to start the process off is for day ticket checks.

Just my thought again.... :)

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Read the back of your licence always assuming you have one, quote'----your licence must be produced on demandto awater bailliff of the Agency who produces his or her warrant, a police officer OR ANY OTHER LICENCE HOLDER WHO PRODUCES HIS OR HER LICENCE'. How many of us have taken that line, should we stop moaning and police ourselves or perhaps the Police should give motorists a break and target licence evasion. Ihope these comments are controversional enough to stimulate further debate.

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
From reading all before it would seem that people agree with having to pay for a licence.

Why is that then?. I pay for my licences, but under duress.

How does the money taken ever help the course angler??????Why should I have to pay to fish on a water that I already own????

Why should I pay for fishing on rivers when there is an enforced closed season, and they can't give me good reason for it?

Why do I have to have two Licences to fish with 3 rods?

Why is it so damned expensive????????

The NRA change their name because they were totally enept and out of touch,,,,,The EA will no doubt be changing their name .

Darren Wainwright

Reaction score
Murray

Expensive??

?22 per year for 1 licence. If you went fishing once per week thats a mere 42p per day. Half that if you have a concessioned licence. I would hardly use expense as a reason to be against them.

Why 2 rods??

Being limited to only 2 rods serves it's purpose too. How would you feel if you turned up to your favourite lake and found the angler on the peg next to you had set up 5 or 6 rods.... I think it would p**s me off. So limiting is needed and unfortunatly you have to draw the line at some figure.

what does it pay for??

You only need look at the EA website to see how the money helps. Such as making more areas for us to enjoy our (your) passtime. And not to forget cleaning up the ones we currently use.

Sorry if i sem a little narked. But it kind of doesn't help with the situation of the people evading what most of us have to pay for.

Just my thoughts

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
well said Darren. i will just reiterate my point. Get your money into angling and strengthen it for the future. Money is power ask paul mcCartney. ( sorry couldn't resist).

D

Dave O'L

I think that there's an argument that a licence gives us a degree of legitimacy & credability as a sport.

Andy Young

Reaction score
.. and seems that at times like these we need credabilty. There's definitly something in tackle shops beiing able to provide a Rod licience. I used to work in my local tackle shop a few years ago, at the times of the licience changes,(i.e. from regional to national and from tackle shop to post office)the difference was anothe nail in the coffin for the local/small shops.

I can't see a problem with having to produce rod licience to be able to buy a 'right to fish' licience.(Clubcard, syndicate or day-ticket)

A

Ashe Hurst

A Degree?

Should be full legitimacy, credability as a licence holder , your given right, under full protection of the law.

Even if the licence fee was increesed, it would not put me off. As Alan says, Money is power.

?30.00 x 3 million anglers = ?90 million in licence fees.

?10.00 x 3 million anglers = ?30 million to the ACA.

?120 million to angling.

Then theres the membership to the governing bodies ????

Sale of bait and tackle ????
Club fees ???
Day tickets ???
syndicate fees ???

Im sure we could be a force to be reckoned with.
Then theres the VAT and Tax, im sure the government wouldnt want to lose that.

How much do the antis contribute to Vat, Tax, Employment, Fishery management and environmental conservation, education???

**** ALL.

Considering the missleading, Lies, secretive fund raising, Horrific adds and the condemation of animal testing yet support for animal testing, tells me something dont add up.

Should there be more input into how they work by the authorities?

Also the way they target children has to be looked into.

As a youth worker I have a CRB check and guidlines under the child protection act.

Do not permit abusive peer activities.

Do not have inappropriate physical or verbal contact with others.

Do not jump to conclusions with out checking the facts.

Do not be drawn into inappropriate attention seeking.

Do not imposse personnal views and oppinions.

Im sure they could be in breach of these.

All persons working with children and vunerable adults must under law hold a CRB document. That includes Angling instructors, Club coaches and fishery staff who come into contact with children and vunerable adults.

Do the Antis???

Andy Young

Reaction score
I do think that for those who choose to fish three rods, that they(we) should not have to(technically) pay for a fourth, unusable, rod.

Darren Wainwright

Reaction score
This is though Andy, you have to draw the line somewhere. I think 2 rods is fair. Like i said before, I personally, and i feel many others also, would be pissed off with people using more than 3 rods on the peg next to me - then what happens. People are going to want to use 5 then 6 rods. You may think it wont happen, but then people used to only fish on 1 rod.

Just my thoughts

daren heslop

Reaction score
I hate buying my lisences.I hate giving money to the ea.I realise the ea do a unbalievable amount of work in our interest but i would be a whole lot happier if i was giving my fee to a body who didnt use some of that money in the interest of people who are blatantly anti angling.How much do the rowers on the river ancholme have to pay?Why am i so different to them?Next time your out have a look at the people using the water for whatever reason and see how many of them pay for the privelidge.Go have a look at a local water your not allowed to fish and see how many other people are using it.They are all in trouble come the revolution.