Pond Construction

D

Danny Lancaster

I am constructing a small pre-formed pond in my back garden, however instead of traditionally having the pond in the ground, I want to raise the pond up to around ?m above ground level.

Could anyone give any advise on what I need to bed the pond on, whether I fill the pond first then construct the wall, whether I need a double leaf wall/retaining wall and what material do I backfill with??

Sorry its a bit long winded but any advise would be greatly appreciated.

A

Ashe Hurst

hi,

you will need to build the surround for the pond first and pack out the base with sand.

Make sure your surround is level first.
Is the lip of the pond mould going to be level with the top of your surrounding wall?

The base support for your mould will have to take the weight of a pond of water.
It will push into the sand when filled.

You may have to set things up so that the mould is higher than you intend.

You must also ensure that the sides of your mould are supported by tightley packed earth. As time goes on this earth may sink and need compressing and topping up.

I would suggest that before you lay any surrounding slabs or stone, plants or introduce fish, you leave things to settle for a few weeks.

ensure that your surrounding wall is Man enough and has drainage around the base.

Its basic and there may be other variations, but i hope this is of some help.

good luck.

I

Ian Whittaker

Danny You must have your reasons for raising your pond .Mine has raised edges ,the outer sides are made from log roll( 3" logs split in half to make D shapes and wired together into a roll) which after a year or so have become nice and naturally mossy.I filled in the bit between the liner and logroll with soil and planted it up.