animal feed

C

chris day

Anyone know a safe animal feed pellet- loads seem to contain csl and mollasses. Also are they already being used repackaged by the big bait firms........

M

Mike Lee

It would be like printing money wouldn't it...

Buying lamb feed from a large supplier, putting it in a 'CARP FOOD' bag and calling it CSL pellet then charging 1000% more than you paid for it..

Why hasn't someone thought of that one before?

Ahh, you say, but there would need to be some gullible carp anglers prepared to buy it.

That's why my plan wouldn't work - there are no gullible carp anglers as they're all too clever to fall for it!

M

Mike Lee

I live 5 minutes from Dodson & Horrell's factory Dave.

Imagine the smile on my face when farmers complained that the price of molassed feed meal had pushed the price of lamb rearer too high and Dodson's responded by replacing some of it with Corn Steep Liquor.

Not only am I surrounded by lakes full of carp but I live 'next door' to an animal feed production plant.

Oh happy days!!

D

Dave Rothery

yeah, they moan about ewe nuts at ?4/25kg......shall we tell them how much the bait co's charge!

M

Mike Lee

I did hear of someone who paid ?26 for 10kg of 'CSL' pellets.

S

Sascha Welsch

Not only CSL pellets but I've bought maize at ?6 a sack, hemp at ?11, partiblend (pidgeon conditioner) at ?8 I think, crushed hemp and 3mm & 6mm halibut pellets at a quarter the shop price. Oh, and Tiger Nut extract at ?2.50/500ml bottle (shops are ?10) and betain HCI at 1/10th shop price. Codlivene oil, mollasses and garlic oil have also come my way and all from the local animal feeds wholesaler. Turn up, fill a car and pay ?100 total for two blokes' entire bait (minus boilies) for a seasons (or poss' two depending on the bait) carp and tench campaign. Can't be bad and really does make me think I'm in the wrong business.

Incidentally I've worked out what our purchases would have cost us buying ex tackle shop:

approx ?350 - ?400. And that's not for the ready prepared particle ranges!!!!

C

Cakey

Trouble is pay the dearer prices some times because im a lazy git.
two tackle shops less than half a mile away or animal feed shop 7 miles away.

D

Dave Rothery

green lipped mussel powder - bait co. ?8/50gm.....marriages ?60/kg (instead of ?160)

Andy Young

Reaction score
bang on Mike! is there anything that's not good, or will any feed be ok to the fish? I have used Sow's pencils and find them doing what I want, Boar's Balls are apparently the same, but a round shape, so I assume they may 'pult better.

Haven't been yet, but I have a shopping list for Marriages, that'll give me 25kg of GOOD fishmeal basemix for about ?40!

D

Dave Rothery

broadly speaking as the animal feeds are going into the human foodchain, they'll be ok for fish.
whats the recipe andy?

Andy Young

Reaction score
It's a fishmeal mix as suggested by a mate. I'll dig it out and put it on that new thread for recipes.

daren heslop

Reaction score
More and more anglers i meet are using feed suppliers for there bait and there is little wonder.Trouble is now im getting it so cheap im using twice as much .The fish arent complaining though and my catches have increased.I suppose that shows i was being too tight with it.I am from yorkshire though.

tom stone

Reaction score
hmm just got back from my pet food shop best but has to be the liquid molasses
vde one is ?2.99 for 25oml
the one i got was ?4,99 for 5lrs
thats a saving of over ?54!!!
and thats not including me hemp and groats!

S

Stu Black

Hiya Tom mate, hope your wallet probs got sorted ok! But you got done over your molasses there, I only pay ?4.49 for 5 litres ;-)

The lake I'm on this year, the ewe pellets and the molassed sugar beet pellets are not being eaten at all, whereas the boilies/corn/trouties i put in in the same spots are disappearing fast. My left over ewe pellets (csl) have earned me the nickname "sheepie" which living in Wales could almost be praise, but in this case its not.

tom stone

Reaction score
lol
i don't mind the old fifty pence lol
i think i do pay about 50p more on the items i buy there more than from my other 'source' but the place is a bit closer so i saved it on fuel lol