dried maize help !

R

Richard Bytheway

just bought large bag of maize from local farm supplies. just boiled it (ie didnt soak it like i just read about on this web site) but i boiled it for 3 hrs and its still soaking in its own juices cos i kept topping up the pan with water. do you people recon it will be safe or should i just chuck it in my worm bin and soak some next time for the 48hrs prior.

D

Dave Rothery

once it wont soak up any more it'll probably be ok, but you've boiled it to death! - for what it costs, chuck it and do it again properly! also, 48 hrs is a MINIMUM

S

stuart palfrey

Just soak it for at least 36 hours,boiling just kills all the vitimins and other carp attractors.

D

David Will

'Just soak it for at least 36 hours,boiling just kills all the vitimins and other carp attractors'
???????????????????.

rick mullins

Reaction score
Here is a good bit of info given to me by Keith on another forum.I am sure you will get other answers however here is mine.

For chum/groundbait I half fill a 5 gallon bucket (with lids from Home Depot/B&Q) with dry maize, fill to one inch from top with water and add 2-5 teaspoons of flavour depending upon flavour type (some work better than others so you will have to experiment to get the correct levels).Although, flavour is not always necessary. These buckets are checked for about 7-10 days to ensure the maize remains covered with water following which they are left with the lids sealed until I need to use them for chumming (I have some sitting now from October last year and generally have some that are several months old ready for mass chumming escapades).

For hookbaits (and bait for PVA bags) I use much smaller buckets (2.5 gal I think) and follow the same procedure. However after 3 days soaking I will drain the water into my cooking pot and cook batches of the bait in the liquid that it has been soaking in (including the flavour). I then boil the maize for 30-35 minutes, followed by draining the water (keep it to boil the next baits), throwing the maized on a towel on the deck to dry for up to an hour before bagging in one gallon Ziploc bags and freezing. After 3-5 days in the freezer I will open the bag back up and remove all the loose ice crystals in the bag, add 2 tablespoons of oil (olive, sesame, peanut) and 5 ml of the flavour. I will shake the bait about to ensure it is fully coated before re-freezing or taking to the lake and catching.

If you need more info please let me know

R

Richard Bytheway

cheers guys , just hope it catches some carps for me .

C

Chrisx Ess

Really interesting rick...what do you use for flavourings? Does the stuff you leave in buckets for chumming (I like that expression...never heard it before)end up fermented? [or do I ask Keith? - whoever Keith is...]

S

stuart palfrey

The maize i use is chopped up into small pieces and heat treated then dried out,it is used for animal feed this is proberley why it only needs soaking.I should have mentioned this sorry for any misappropriation.You can get this very cheap from animal feed stores.

B

Barry Edney

Is chumming anything to do with vertical spooning? Or the reverse cowgirl? :)

rick mullins

Reaction score
Chris,
Chumming is north american for feeding or ground baiting this term is also used by british sea anglers.Keith is English but he now lives in California catching unpressured carp at very large sizes.
As far as carp are concerned I am in the same dreadfull position as Keith. I just can't handle catching all these huge carp and having all the locals thinking I must be mad! Ha,ha,ha, I just hope they don't catch on!
Rick.