Fish Handling On Television

D

Dave Slater

I am having a few minutes on the computer before I watch Countryfile, discussing fishing this week. I watch the fishing programmes on Discovery and cannot help thinking that if I was a non-angler watching some of these programmes the way some of the fish were handled would look pretty barbaric. I am not going to name names as these programmes feature well known anglers and I would not like to be accused of sour grapes. I have just watched the episode of Preditors featuring Kev Green and John Watson fishing for pike on the Norfolk Broads for the second time, having watched it a couple of weeks ago when it was first shown. This was a brilliant programme and the way the fish were unhooked and handled was perfect. Programmes like this promote angling in a positive way. John Watson, you are a true star sir.

K

Keith Hacking

Rex hunt i's a bit rough on some fish though, still throwing them back instead of placing them back to recover.gives a bad impresssion to non anglers.

A

Ashe Hurst

If Peta and such groups are allowed to target schools with educational material, then are we anglers?

A local conservation group have put together a key staged program for schools in our area. They are Pro angling.

As a leader of such a group myself, I do intend to work alongside them and see if a similar educational program can be developed for Angling.

Also if such angling TV shows display acts that are not related to UK styles of angling or even uk angling shows seem to be floutting fish care, shouldnt the Governing bodies Vet these shows before the are aired?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ashe,
I fully agree that if televising non-UK styles of angling then there should be an appropriate disclaimer announced at the start and the end of the programme.
Maybe this is could be a project for one, or more, of the angling authorities to take up with the television companies.

Here in the USA they show all kinds of (so called) angling programmes that in the main display a barbaric manner of handling fish. However, most of the "anglers" in my area still kill their catch and eat it!
Nonetheless, I belive that this is no excuse for not handling fish properly, and with due care.

We, as concerned anglers, should realise the real power of television, and the impact on perceived impressions that can stem from programmes such as those Dave mentions.

D

Dave Slater

Interesting. The programmes I was refering to are not the ones from overseas, although these are far worse than the ones I meant.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave,

The way that some of these so called "anglers" handle fish is really quite sickening.
Mostly, we get to see programmes on Bass and Pike fishing. On one programme a few weeks ago the Pike anglers even had a gaff hook in the boat, although thankfully the viewers never go to see the thing in action.

Just looking at the programme guide on the TV prior to writing, there are no less than 5 fishing programmes being screened at the same times from 10.00 until 10.30 this morning.
What a pity that we don't get the same sort of coverage in the UK.

G

goff dyer

REX HUNT AND ALL HIS AUSSIE CRONIES BAD ADVERT FOR ANGLING, ALWAYS THROWING FISH, CUTTING TRACES, AND LEAVING HOOKS IN.
PERHAPS IT IS ACCEPTABLE IN THEIR COUNTRY, BUT NOT IN OURS. I DO NOT WATCH HIM ANYMORE.

G

Gary Knowles

Sorry, I disagree totally.

Rex may be one of the most oafish, politically incorrect anglers on TV but at least he's forever talking conservation and encouraging youngsters into the sport.

Yeah, a lot of the stuff they show can be barbaric, the way he throws small fish back and shows in detail livebaiting etc. could all be greatly improved on, agreed.

But at least people like him ensure that nurseries are created where vast areas of estuary and breeding sites are protected from commercial fishing. Without the high profile that people like him bring into the sport there would be little future for our children and grandchildren.

C

Chris Bishop

Agree with Gary. People have poked criticism at John Watson here and there, yet the guy's one of the few anglers known to the general public and his infectious enthusiasm really does a great PR job for us.

D

Dave Slater

Chris, I mentioned John Watson and congratulated him on a brilliant programme and also on the fish handling and unhooking. As I cannot remember criticism being levelled at him in the past are we talking about the same angler?

C

Chris Bishop

I meant John Wilson. Apologies to both.

The Norwich John Watson was smeared rather unfortunately by a namesake being exposed by the papers a few years back.

The prgramme was also the first time I've ever seen anyone else using Marvic Pike Rods, which were one of Norfolk's finest exports until they discontinued them.

D

Dave Slater

Chris, I can remember the saga of the other John Watson a few years back. Unfortunate that they have the same name. I am sure you will agree that the edition of predators I was referring to was excellent. You are right about John Wilson. I know several non-anglers who watch the programme and enjoy it. My wife is a big fan of John. Despite the digs a few people have I think you are right in saying that John has a great deal of appeal and he has the right personality for television. The people I was referring to in my original comments do not have the same appeal as John and some of the things they do look pretty barbaric. I refuse to name names. If, however, John Wilson did some of the things they do he would probably be able to carry it off. I think the programme makers should look carefully at what is being portrayed.