Country file debate

A

Ashe Hurst

Well that was short.
Was hoping to see a more detailed debate.

Johnathon Hehir's Video Diary showed the enthusiasm, peaceful, ralaxed attitude and the care of playing a fish.
However this was Game Fishing and I think coarse fishing, being the majority should have had some air time.

the Chap from PETA was confident in his presentation and able to pit forward facts and figures from scientific reports.
Although this was vastley incorrect, to the non angler this would have seemed quite conclusive.

Christopher Loyed-Owen, a staff member from chatsworth house, did his best i felt, but could have put forward a better account. He did point out that Peta's verdict on the sneddon report was inaccurate and that the Angling community were the Eyes and Ears of the Environment.

Why was so little time given tro this Debate ,as so much was made of it last week and on the Start of Country file.

Why wasnt a Rep from an angling governing body invited to speak up for angling.

D

Davy North

You're right about being short, by the time I got in it must have finished and a hairy chap was on with a wallaby!

So to those who did see it, was all the fuss worth it?

K

Keith Hacking

Well i thought it went well for us.pointed out the good work we do for the enviroment and conservation.and being the eyes and ears on the water in regard to early reporting of pollution etc.
peta's arguments about fish feeling pain were answered well and clearly.
for a short spot as this was i thought we came over pretty well remembring that we have a greater interest than the general public so it did not go on to long to become boring to them.
And whats this game and coarse fishing difference we are all fishermen what ever branch of the sport we follow.Im an ordinary working bloke on a low wage.who likes to fish for salmon etc.brought up on the side of a game fishing river and that was the form of angling i chose to follow.still like a bit of coarse fishing in the winter though.used to sea fish as well.And if it comes to fighting a ban on our sport we are all in the same boat. I'd better go for a lie down now not doing my blood pressure any good at all.
Keith

A

Ashe Hurst

Keith,
Point taken. We are all Fishermen, whatever we fish for. And yes i do have an interest in game fishing, So i do appoligise if i ruffled a few feathers.

D

Dave Slater

I watched it. Even as an interested party I found it incredibly boring. Both the PETA guy and our one had about as much charisma as a dead slug. I very much doubt if anybody without an interest even noticed it. To quote the sleeve notes from an old Half Man Half Biscuit album "Marginally Less Intersting Than Araldite". I am pleased it was such a non-event as I doubt if it will be repeated for a long time. One thing I really detest is people whose sole interest is to stop others following their interests. Can't they find an interest of their own? Although fox hunting does not appeal to me I would never try to stop those interested in it from doing it.

D

Davy North

Dave

Half man half biscuit, there was a good turn.

Although I missed the part of the programme I'm pleased to hear it was a non event. It had been bothering me all week.

R

Richard Drayson

This debate did turn out to be a bit of a non-event didn't it? I was expecting much more than was shown.
Nevertheless, it was pointed out that most of the emails that were sent in were from anglers which was really good.

G

goff dyer

I AGREE WITH YOU DAVE SLATER (NON EVENT)PETA? BLOKE OUT OF DATE WITH THE SWANS AND LEAD SHOT WHY OH WHY DO THEY KEEP ON ABOUT THIS SUBJECT ALL THE TIME.

M

Mark Birchall

Ashe.

Sorry mate did not get to see the program as i was out fishing.... Not being funny just honest.

A

Andy Nellist

PETA have also been putting forward the arguement that catch and release leads to high mortality in the released fish but if you read the article on the anti-angling website link from their UK site it turns out that they are refering to fish release from tanks were they are retained during Bass fishing tournaments in the US. Retaining fish in this way is illegal in the UK.

Stuart's point about dogs and leads is a very good arguement. It would have been funny to see that put to the PETA chap on the program because then he might have had to admit that PETA are against keeping pets.

A

Ashe Hurst

Hi Guys.

PC been out of use for a few days, mrs took it apart and it wouldnt work when she put it back together.

love the comments.

What can we do to EDUCATE THE PUBLIC???

Do we launch a campaign to abolish PETA and such past times? Or Ban the wareing of Dodgy hair styles by loonies.?

NO, but we wish we could?

If we let them carry on shooting themselfs in the foot, whilst we provide sound evidence and information, people will see them for what they are.

If they can launch a media campaign then why cant we?
If they want to educate, then why cant we?

D

Dave Slater

Bruce, Why just one? Ashe, I think the majority of people are fed up with being bombarded with PC crap. This includes the people they claim to be acting in the interests of. I used to work with a Sri Lankan guy who thought they (the PC brigade) were a bigger bunch of tossers than I do. I have just used him as an example, there are many others who feel the same.

D

Dave Slater

Ashe, I have just read my last post and it doesn't read as I meant it to. The point I was trying to make was that PC is a very bad thing as it tries to control how we think. It can breed resentment and can, in some cases, cause people to take a dislike to people they would otherwise have got on well with. I think some people take themselves far too seriously. I prefer humour every time. It is a pity Eric Morecambe is no longer with us. He would have been a good person to have put on Countryfile. At least it wouldn't have been a boring non-event.

Bruce Kerby

Reaction score
Well said Dave , it was meant to be light hearted and in the words of Jethro the cornish comic....if ive offended anyone B**licks anyway.

A

Ashe Hurst

I was trying to be sarcastic, im not a pc person myself.

Im on a course at the moment and i cant belive how PC they all are.
Me and this other women keep pissing every one off. have the tutors and office staff not knowing how to deel with it.

I now purpousley go out of my way to offend them, but i think they know im winding them up now.
Got a few Nigerian ladies want me to take them fishing soon. Another wants me as security at her wedding and to take the kidds from her church youth club fishing too. Hope to get some of the scouts out fishing soon too.

D

Dave Slater

Ashe, I hope the scouts enjoy their fishing trip. Don't be surprised if the PC brigade object to them wearing uniforms though. The trip with the Nigerian ladies sounds fun. I wonder what they think of PC? Probably the same as us. How's this one for PC. A mate of mine at work is a sikh. One of the managers there, who is overweight and bearded, is a very religious. My mate says "Pity he's a happy clappy. He would make a hell of a sikh with that belly and the beard." Nice one Amrik. My kind of humour. I will have to work hard to beat that one.