Help finding the 'perfect' reel

HarryTom

Reaction score
Hi again Chaps
Some of you kindly helped me in my last little project which was building an ultra/ulra light vertical jigging rod.
What I need your help for is in finding what I (underlined 10x) reckon would be the perfect, (almost) no expence spared reel for this jigging.
Firstly I'll concede that almost any suitable sized reel will do whether it be fixed spool, multiplier or pin so i'll list below what my dream vertical jigging reel should be.
1) 2 ballbearing CENTREPIN.
2) No more than 3" diameter and no more than 1" wide.
3) Caged with an exposed outer rim for thumbing.
4) Lots of holes for lightness and cool looks.
5) A 'cutaway' backplate just enough to hold the ratchet which should be adjustable.
As you can see I don't want much and am very easy to please.
Of course I do realise that this reel probably doesn't exist so I would compromise a little.
I've tried my aerials and such on the v-jig / ice rods and although they work fine they look a tad too big.
I've also got some tiny fly/centrepin reels and multipliers of around 2" diameter but they have permanent rachets (ugh!) and are frankly a bit cheap and nasty although just about usable.
Any help or thoughts much appreciated
Jeremy

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I have some fly reels from which I have stripped the ratchets. I've drilled them for lightness and use them for margin stalking......here is one which I retained the ratchet in, but set it up to only work one way..whan a fish is pulling.

smallforstationerySmall.jpg

Is that the sort of thing you are thinking of?

Otherwise the only centrepin I can think of is the smaller 3 and three quarter inch Perfection Flick 'Em. I don't think anyone does or did, a 'pin with bearings that small. Does it need to be salt-water proof ?

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I don't think the reel you want has been made yet. The Bewick is small, but still bigger than you want, plus you would have to drill it out.

Have you tried asking if some one could make you what you want, It would cost you, but then at least you'll have just what you want, and something that will last a life time.

HarryTom

Reaction score
Hi chaps
I like what you've done with that flyreel I.C. and pins for margin fishing - yes please and what carp puddles are made for IMO. I might give that a try and no it doesn't have to be saltwaterproof but the odd salty outing may be on the cards but a rub with silicone furniture polish or wd40 beforehand and VERY thorough clean afterwards works wonders.
BTW what model flyreel did you start of with. I have an old intrepid (don't laugh it's a simple but great reel) rimly that I may donate to this project. I'm guessing from the the nice spool tension screw thingy yours was a little more 'bespoke'?
Ray
If anybody out there is up for this project and would like to discuss pennies and specs. I'd be very interested.
I know this is all crazy sounding to most sensible fisher folk but hey whatever floats your boat.
Again all help, comment greatfully recieved.
regards
Jeremy

Last edited:

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I like the Intrepids...the first fly reel I modified was a Kingsize Rimfly and I still fish with it on my tiny 5weight.

I'm not sure of the reel I used in that picture...it's 60's American, but most of them were made in Japan. The tiny wheel adjusts the tension on a bow spring and therefore the strength of the check. By playing with the bow, you can make them stronger in one direction...or break them !

The main disadvantage using an old fly reel is the lack of bearings. Not so much from the spinning point of view, more that they weren't made to play fish and will soon wear out. I don't think it's good for your fingers to play a carp on the line rather than the reel and it hurts too !

I have a load of old fly reels that you are welcome to, but they are all encased spools rather than an exposed rim.....which rather limits their use I feel.

HarryTom

Reaction score
Hi Chaps
Cakey - That is a BEAUTIFUL reel and I want to have it's babies :D it's just a bit too big for what I want. I'd still be very interested in a 'custom' jobbie though - pennies permitting.

Intinerent Crucian - I reckon you be spot on about playing fish 'on the line' with a flyreel.
I usually cup the spool bottom with my left palm (i'm a rightie) or use my right thumb on top of the spool - I favour the first 2 fingers on the backplate / ring and little finger round rod grip with the rod handle braced against my forearm. It causes quite a stir on the local carp puddle when I play fish on the pin (Match Aerial) as most of them have never played a fish for real before - i.e. without the aid of gears and a clutch. I'm no 'luddite' when it comes to reels ( I even own a £500 plus Stella:cool:) I just use what I reckon is best for what I'm doing and suits my mood but I LIKE playing fish 1 to 1 on a pin and braid because it's the real deal to me.

regards and thanks
Jeremy

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Itinerant??? I'll have you know that photo is me in my Sunday best!

Jeremy have you looked at any of Grice and Youngs Sea Jecta reels? VERY strong and well made, but spin well enough to trot on all but the slowest of rivers. They rarely fetch more than £20 on eBay and are more than up to the job of pike or carp....they just don't have the bearings you craved.

VINTAGE GRICE AND YOUNG JECTA SEA CENTURY FINE REEL on eBay (end time 16-Jan-10 14:01:27 GMT)

That one I haven't seen before....they usually have a normal centrepin boss in the middle and one of two types of check on the back.

HarryTom

Reaction score
Sorry about the 'typo' INDIFFERENT Crucian - brain lag or some such and I couldn't even spell 'iNtinerent' right.
Thanks for the info re. the Jecta I'll keep an eye out.
I did some 'googling' and Allcocks made a 3" 'aerial' but the price of these is frightening @ £275-£350 pounds on the only site I found selling them. I really believe the market for old aerials isn't that keen - if it was about £50-£100 pounds I might have considerd it.
I have to say I'm looking for a 'bespoke' jobby if anyone can point me in the right direction.
BTW the american versions of these are plastic and mount on the side of the (ice)rod and the whole lot is used @ 90 degrees to the norm - strange but true. The reels also only cost $5 or so apiece (try Janns netcraft if you want a shufty).
regards
Jeremy

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
I think the high price of the 3 inch Aeriel might reflect its rarity, but I'm sure I've seen them change hands for around £150 in the past ?

There was a bearinged 'pin on eBay recently. The pre-production models of what was basically a disc drag fly reel with an extra handle. At £80 a pop there were no takers, though.

The mark up on these can be phenomenal....I have a fly reel that cost me £12 from China, plus £8 p&p. Over here they are sold for £130 :eek: Now what Bloke would pay that:wh

Daiwa did a salmon mooching reel that might suit, basically a big, tough centrepin, with a massive disc drag........this is the current model...

Daiwa M-One Plus Salmon Mooching & Trolling Reel

Or thereis this from Chris Lythe..it's 3 and a half inches, but a true 'pin with no bearings...

http://www.chrislythe-centrepins.co.uk/popup/branta.html

Good Luck with your hunting !

Last edited:

HarryTom

Reaction score
Thanks again for the info Indifferent Crucian.
Those Chris Lythe reels are so beatiful it just hurts my eyes to look at them. It also looks like he would make up a 'special' order reel too.
I just wish I had that sort of money at the moment. The best always costs - damn it. Well I can dream I suppose.
BTW ballraces not essential but they can make up for a lack of craftmanship in the more mass produced reels.
regards
Jeremy