BEACH CASTER

will britten

Reaction score
DOSE ANYONE STILL US THE BEACHCASTER RIG AS I HAVNT SEEN ANYONE US IT FOR YEARS IF SO HAVE YOU DONE ANY GOOD WITH IT RESENTLY? CHEERS

Andrew Croft

Reaction score
i use it all the time where possible. its a fantastic method i have done well on it and its the most exciting way of fishing on the top

S

Stuart Bullard

....well, its all about opinion I guess. I hate it. If you are happy just plonking it out in the middle in hope - fine.

But give me a mobile approach fishing the margins anyday. I really cannot see how you can use the beachcaster method in any other way than hit and hope.

D

Dave Rothery

too many tethered fish when people dont use it properly

G

goff dyer

BLOKE IN A/T YESTERDAY WON ?10K CARP MATCH WITH THIS METHOD!

I

Ian Whittaker

Like many methods in modern day carp angling it catches carp.Unfortunately it is not fish friendly if not set up carefully with thought to the prevailing conditions.

D

Dave Rothery

"a lot of mouth damage and should ban all over "
"BLOKE IN A/T YESTERDAY WON ?10K CARP MATCH WITH THIS METHOD"

wonder if he was worried about the mouths?

G

goff dyer

EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE LADS, NEVER USED IT NEVER EVEN SEEN IT BEING USED.BUT IS IT THAT DANGEROUS!! (OR IS THAT THE WRONG WORD)

C

Cakey

I dont know if Dangerous is the right word but theres a lake near me that used to allow beach casting and Ive seen some dodgy sights like unattended rods going in ,fish tethered to hugh floats and 4oz of lead,wild life flying into lines (your rod has to be vertical as opposed to the normal way of fishing and 20-30 rods was a common sight)and the mouths on every fish was knackered and some made me feel sick.
Since the lake has banned beach casting the fish have improve and they have piled on the wieght(fish went to 20lbs now they go to 34lb).
I know this is a good rig in the right hands but its to easily abused so to me it should be banned.

G

goff dyer

SO THAT IS BEACHCASTING, DONT SOUND VERY HEALTHY TO ME. PERHAPS THE METHOD SHOULD STAY ON THE BEACHES.

Andrew Croft

Reaction score
i have used this rig on Cuttle Mill and it is still used, Cuttle Mill has many rules but allows this rig so it cant be all bad, the rig i use is totally free running. if i were to crack off the fish would only trail a hook link of 4 inches and a swivel at worst. the reason some lakes ban it is beacuse it is so succsesful. i will say one thing though i did have a very good carper at cuttle mill show me how to tie it and i only use barbless hooks with the rig the float i use is free running as is the hook link. the lead i use is 2oz and is tied to the main line at the end of the rig so it is generally the first thing to crack off. i have seen many peple use it at the mill and i have never seen a fish with a bad mouth or trailling a big float. but i do really belive that any rig tied wrongly can cause the issues mentioned above. cakey i dissagree with your last sentence as any rig tied or used incorrectly can be a danger to the fish so where do we draw the line.

N

nick austin

Any rig can be damaging if tied in the wrong hands. Ive seen some rigs hanging from trees that have been tied by one of my lakes syndicate members thati wouldn't dream of casting into a lake. Any rig which dosn't release the lead or float is gonna be dangerous, and even the release clips made by so many of the major carp companies can be misused if not applied correctly.
Why dont we all try tying a brick to ourselves for a few days and see how we get on with it!

Reaction score
Seems a while since anyone wrote about this method.. It's my favourite way of catching carp and is without doubt the easiest way to catch them off the surface. I disagree that there is no skill involved with it as bait presentation is everything as always. My own much modified version of this leaves nothing but a short nylon hooklink tethered to the fish in the event of being snagged up. The plus points are you can have a Duck free 'zone' between two Beachcaster rods as the line above the surface tends to keep them away. How many times do waterbirds ruin big potential floater catches? I set one rod up each side of the swim and bait the central channel and it generally works well. I love traditional controller fishing too but in my opinion this way is more exciting, because there is less line visible to the carp in the feeding area they feed more confidently on the freebies. Also unlike a standard surface rig the carp will often have repeated takes at your bait. I use alarms with my set up and hi vis parachutes so I can see exactly what the carp are doing. The only downside is the need to have the rods quite high, and having to wind down to the lead before striking, though you soon get used to this. The people who knock it are those who have not refined it and made it tangle proof, which is mostly down to casting technique. The takes you get using this method are the most explosive imaginable, as the carp are usually unaware of anything till they feel the hook. If you love floater fishing and have never tried this method then your missing out on something very exciting and successful.