the feeder be from the main line, and
how far from the hook. Does the distance
and length depend on what you are fishing for. Also should you still put
some ground bait down before starting
if the range permits.?????

R

Rodney Wrestt

Hi Trevor,
mostly it's down to personal choice, I usually start with a 4" drop to my feeder and the distance to the hook from the knot joining the feeder link to my mainline is about 4 times that if I'm using a paternoster set up, this is varied as the fish dictate. Sometimes a longer hooklength is needed especially if the fish start to look for the feeder on the way down as the long hooklength lets the bait stay up in the feeding area a bit longer. As for the groundbait I don't usually put out too much, maybe a couple of balls at the start then top up through the feeder, it depends on the species your after, depth of water and how far out you fish.

J

James Grice

hi trevor im 14 and started fishing 7 years ago but started match fishing only 2 years ago.
i have found that the further away the hook is from the feeder the less powerfull the bites are but when the hook is close to the feeder the bites are usually more violent, this is because as the fish start to take the groundbait from the feeder you bait(which should be lying in the groundbait)will get sucked up along with it causing the bites to be very quick.
differnt people enjoy differnt styles so its down to you really but before hand make sure you find out what type of fish your after, depth and flow(current)of the water because all these will affect your fishing.
eg if the water is very fast flowing then use a short hook length to prevent it from being blown too far from the groundbait.

TIGHT LINES
James...!

K

keith hatton

hi trevor if you place a elastic band around your feeder then you can use a long hook lenth and make it smaller by tucking some line under the band. this way you can tell when you have the right lenth when you start getting bites

J

Jason Lennon

Keith - doesn't the elastic band defeat the object?
surely the fish would feel the weight of the feeder more easily, as the line isn't free running. This will make more fish bolt wont it?
Maybe I'm wrong, but if it works let me know!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Jason,
the elastic band turns the rig into a semi fixed bolt rig. The hooklength can slip through the band as the fish bolts and the line can be pulled free on a break just as the fish would with a normal paternoster rig, Steff Horak uses this trick to great effect with small hooks when using maggot or castor for bait.

J

Jason Lennon

I'm gonna try that next time I go to the river. sounds like a good idea, How is it that I didn't know about it sooner? Doh!!
I presume that I'm gonna have to make sure my rod is SECURE as if I dont, it will end up in the river when the fish bolts - cant have that happening, I just got a new reel that hasnt been paid for yet!

ferret

Reaction score
This as got to be my year, fish date 16 Aug my lakes dead way to much weed its that thick even I can walk on water (SCARBOROUGH MERE) so went to (ROSEDALE lake) Hummanby best day`s fishing, Roach,& rudd on 4mtr WHIP(DOWN BOY);.) did that most of the day just like fishing when I was a lad pin&cane the best.

At 4 went on to the feeder ProLogic this is one hell of a rod cost ?119 with lifetime guarantee now that has got to be the best deal. soaked 2ltr of trout pellets for the cage & 4ml exspanders for the hook got smashed on first cast, missed on next AND then wham tip went that way -> rod went round -> then <- ->-> this way and that way a good 20 min blood sweat and MY GOD this cream coloured thing boiled on top then went up the lake then down and down by the way at my feet it was 20ft down and then it saw the net well it saw the net 3 times and with some help (THANKYOU FOR YOUR HELP SORRY TOLD YOU MY NAME, ALAN DID NOT GET YOURS OR YOUR WIFES NAME but did give them this site and told them to look 4 ferret hi) and all of my bait as they were over here (SCARBOROUGH) for the week fishing and the rest you know holliday things,then it was in the net 10bl plus mirror carp took lots and lots of photos film full see this space next 48 hours all will be here I hope. And it`s down to this site for all of your help SO THANKS Fm

Reaction score
well done ferret.
Another question for you all. How and when do you decide to use cage or open ended feeders ??

J

jason fisher

cage for ground bait only open end for maggot with ground bait plugs in the end.