New fishing spot in Northants - Research

Mr Researcher

Reaction score
I am a researcher working on behalf of the Rockingham Forest Trust. They are handling the development of the Stanwick Lakes site on the A45 near Rushden.

Once Hansen move out in a few months, the plan is to create a new country park area.

One aspect of this involves possibly opening up the old Railway line to Thrapston as a Right of Way for Horses Bikes and walkers.

Obviously the area also contains access to the River Nene and 5 lakes.

Basically any individuals or groups who would make use of the site, please help to shape its future by telling us the issues and facilities that would make this an attractive venue for a days angling.

Many thanks in anticipation

D

Dave Oates

one of the main things is easy access, no one seems to want to walk to their fishing spot!
or is it because your car will be stolen or broken into?
the hanson site is large get them to put good roads in before they pull out,he can afford it?
also could the environment agency do a fish survey for you. you will attract more anglers if they know there is something to catch. and may help with advice , restocking etc.
hope this helps.....

Mr Researcher

Reaction score
Yes it does !

The more people can tell us about 'ideal' features hopefully the better the site will be!

Thanks

S

Sascha Welsch

Call me suspicous Mr Researcher, but your question and motive would contain far more weight if you didn't hide your name and full reason for being on this site. As far as I'm aware Rockingham have no interest in fishing or its promotion and if you do, it would be good to hear your views on the development of the sport on the new site and of any plans already given the green light. There are a number of contributors to this site (who live in the area too) who would only be too willing to help if they knew a little more about you and your plans.

Sorry if this was in all innocence but I'm just trying to help you and fishermen in the area.

Mr Researcher

Reaction score
Sascha

I work for an independent Market Research Company contracted to the Trust.

Our brief is to gather opinions from all potential users of the site, whether families with children who will use the play area or walkers who may use the paths.

As the site will have 5 lakes within its bounds, watersports (Unpowered) and Angling are obvious potential features for the site.

There is no hidden agenda here, just a question that says - if we want to attract anglers, what will make the site attractive to them?

The objective is to draw in as many different user groups as possible to make the site a popular and useful resourse for the local community.

If you email me through the site I will gladly reply with my contact details so you can call me and confirm my account.

D

David Whitmill

When will fishing be available on this site?
Will it be as soon as Hansons move out?

I only live 5 mins away and would be very interested in fishing there.

Things that would be important to me are (in no particluar order)

Good access
Secure parking
Good well spaced out swims
Sensible rules
Zero tolerance on litter
Allowing locals to have priority on fishing permits
Regular baliffs
Plenty of fish to catch
Reasonable pricing (no money grabbers)
Limits on numbers of anglers so there is no overcrowding
Attractive surroundings
Emphasis on conservation and fish care etc.
Dont combine watersports with fishing, have separate lakes for that.

etc. etc.

How about getting leaflets in local fishing shops/clubs.?

More in the local press etc.?

Mr Researcher

Reaction score
David,

Thanks for your post it is very constructive.

From what I understand access to the site is still a way away, once Hansen are done, there will be a lot of remedial work to get the site into a state which is safe and pleasant for people to use. - I am not 100% sure but 8-14 months at a guess.

Mr Researcher

Reaction score
How important is it that watersports and fishing are seperate -

At Pitsford they co-exist; how does this work out?

Also how big an issue are main paths running behind the fishing points - I'm wondering if you get fed up having to watch out when back casting?

S

Stuart Bullard

I think one of your big challenges will be bins and litter. Personally I favour the route that says no bins, take all your rubbish home. You could do far worse than ask a guy called Ian Welch who runs RMC Angling (www.rmcangling.co.uk). I am sure he would help as they have a vast range of different complex's etc. and he seems to come over as someone who is on the case.

Other ideas - promote wildlife and angling together, especially in local schools. Dont let anyone frighten you off that angling is bad for fish. If you ever come across this then post again on this site for back up!!

If you are serious about fishing, look to mix up the lakes so that you can offer "easy" especially for youngsters up to perhaps more "serious" waters.

If its a big enough project, get a famous name in fishing to help you, perhaps on an informal "advisory" basis. They love the coverage and it would help bring in more anglers.

Safe parking is a must, plus a loo.

No silly bans that have little basis (too numerous to mention but someone like Ian would be best on this....if he agrees to help!).

HOWEVER - ensure bait boats are never, ever let on the site!!

S

Stuart Bullard

I think water sports and angling can co-exist so long as everyone abides by local rules. If you have the option though, keep them separate.

Keep cyclists away from fishing swims....the two just dont mix very well.

Zaro tolerance on litter - absolutely. Make it really clear to anglers. Depends on how workable it is, but I have always felt a "deposit" of some sort subject to a clear swim. Probably is unworkable, but as a minimum take peoples details from their fishing license, and if there is litter - ban them.

C

Chris Bishop

I've driven past it several times. A couple of the lakes at the eastern end of the chain are seriously shallow and windsept, which means little good for fishing but would be great for windsurfers etc.

Screen these off with trees to give some shelter to the more westerly waters which would have better access for anglers.

N

Nick King

i live in northants<corby> and would be intrested in fishing any new lakes/fisheries.have you tried asking any of the tackle shops for help and advice???there is a tackle shop in irthlingboro<near to you>also in wellingboro,one in thrapston,ringstead,plus shops in kettering and corby.i think that colins creel in raunds is now closed down???

Stuart Tranter

Reaction score
I live a couple of mins away in Raunds and am looking forward to this new development. As a suggestion the lane that runs out of Meadow Lane runs down the hill and straight under the A45, perhaps some agreement with the local farmer may allow acess and perhaps a carpark at the end of the lane which lies at the top end closest to Raunds.

Acess appears to me to be one of your biggest issues. Chris Bishops comment about the depth of some of the lakes is very relevant as there is grass and sand poking up through some, especialy the lake with the Cormorants.

We also have had in the past problems with travellers taking advantage of any local spaces.