Frozen or shelf-life boilies

M

Mark Morton

I know it has probably been asked before, but do frozen boilies catch more carp than shelf-life boilies? Why?

I am sure i have seen something about the preservatives in shelf-lifers, is this true?

C

Chrisx Ess

I've caught most of my best carp on bread...the shelf life kind.

C

Cakey

Sorry Chrisx but bread aint like it used to be.

frozen every time Mark.

D

Dave Rothery

better ingredients - thats partly why they are more expensive. you also have to bear in mind that nearly all shelf lifes have the same preservative in them (potassium sorbate?) so its a link to EVERY shelf life the fish has been caught on. mind you, certain ones (like richworths tutti's) it doesn't seem to matter.
that said its fresh every time for me......

C

Cakey

Shelf life boilies still need looking after,they go rock hard if allowed to dry out and go mouldy if they get damp so if you do use them freeze them when you get home.
Frozen boilies have no preservatives ,everything is fresh and catch rate is far better.
me thinks anyway.

D

Dave Rothery

thinking about it, harefield era tutti frutti's(before they were tigers ;)) were frozen, not shelflife.

D

Dave Slater

I have never had much success with shelflife baits. Frozen ones are much better. I have caught a lot of fish of various species on the Richworth ones over the years. I have also done quite well on Active-8, Assasin-8, Grange CSL etc. I used to make my own baits years ago but now I feel that too much fishing time can be wasted on this when frozen baits can be just as effective. If only shelflife baits were available, however, I think I would go back to making my own.

S

Stuart Bullard

Can you re-freeze frozen ones once they have thawed out during a session?

C

Cakey

Depends how long the session is,a day or two and I refreeze ,at the end of the third day I chuck them in my bucket of trout pellets which makes them last for weeks.

R

Ryan Whalesby

I'd definitely go for frozen 'fresh' baits now. I used to use readymades and had a very good record on them, Monster Pursuit.

I think that it depends on what your baiting tactics are going to be, if you are only fishing once in a blue moon, and with single hookbaits then I personally dont think it would matter. But if you were putting a fair amount of bait in over a fair time, then I would have to go for frozen or self made.

My main reason for switching to own mades was that i wanted to change the additives slightly and use something a little different to what everybody else was using, and cut the fish meal base with a bird food 50/50 mix to aid winter attractiveness,(probably makes no difference, whatsoever, apart from in my head!), although I now use it all year round.

Hedge your bets mate and fish readymades on one rod and frozen/ own mades on the other and see what happens. I've always got a small bag of readymades in my rucksack incase something diffrent is called for.

Ry