mullet on the fly ???

J

jamie varcoe

i went fly fishin at fouwey in cornwall and was expecting to catch bass or polock but i caught a mullet on the fly
i hooked it under the the bottom lip i was wondering if i had foul hooked it or weather the fish took the fly please help im puzzeled thanks ja

R

Rasmus Keis

Hello Jarnie

There is no question about, that the fish have taken the fly - actually here in Denmark most mullets are caught on fly from the coast, and are a nice change from the "national sport" of catching seatrout of the coast.
Many small patterns will be productive like Red Tag or various shrimp-patterns, small Wooly Buggers etc.
I have read about some fishing in the UK, where the hotspots are sewerholes or something like that. This is quite different from here, where we have shoals of fish directly on the coast quite often near smaller stone reefs, where the fish will be feeding.
You could also check out:
http://globalflyfisher.com/global/denmark/species/mullet.html
http://home4.inet.tele.dk/leth/Fluefiskeri/multer.htm

The last are in danish, but the pictures illustrates the point perfectly.

happy fishing, Rasmus, Denmark

R

Ron Clay

I once caught several mullet on the fly rod whilst after shad (bluefish) off the big Durban harbour wall many years ago.

They looked just like the same fish we catch off England.

T

Tony Myatt

Jamie,

Had a friend who used to catch them by design on the fly from the Wareham area. Apparently at certain times the seaweed becomes infested with maggot like larvae which the Mullet gorge on, needless to say his fly was whiteish. Whether they were thin or thick lipped I couldn?t tell you.

Tony

E

Eddie Caldwell

I agree with Tony, a white fly seems to work best. I've caught them in the river Lee which flows through Cork. I never fancied eating them because the river in the city is quite vile and they do seem to forage for anything putrifying and rotten thsat is washed down stream. There are fish up to eight/nine pound and are very difficult to land except at high tide. Locals fish bread on hooks as preference.

I would love to try for sea mullet but don't know where to go in England.

Eddie Caldwell

T

Tony Myatt

Eddie,

Christchurch Harbour is pretty consistant, sure there are plenty of other posters who could help a lot more, might be worth trying the coarse fishing section.

Good luck, Tony

E

Eddie Caldwell

Thanks for the suggestion Tony. Ihope to be that area in Sptember.

Cheers!
Eddie