Annual Holiday

R

Ron Clay

I am starting to think about where I can spend my annual holiday. Although I am spending a few days in June after the tench of the fens, I am looking elsewhere for a trip in August/September.

It must be on a river, preferably somewhere like the Wye or Dorset Stour, somewhere I don't get the chance to fish that often. I am looking for decent pub or self catering accomodation with REAL people, not a bunch of snotty nosed chatterers - you know what I mean - Those who complain about the smell or the maggots, or even object to anglers.

The accomodation must also be reasonably priced. I hate being ripped off.

Any ideas anyone?

R

Ron Clay

I would love to go there Richard, but not yet. All that raw sewage is getting into the Tigris and Euphrates from Baghdad.

S

Stu Black

How about Ross on Wye, or the Teme at Ludlow, afraid I dont know any hostelry names, but they're both places well used to the travelling angler, and offer some excellent chub and barbel fishing.

F

Fred Bonney

Ron,I used to stay at the Bull at Downton,ideal for the Avon & Stour,was very good but haven't been for years.
Anybody know what it's like now?
Or B&B at Royalty View,Christchurch.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron, the Bull at Downton is about 40 pounds per night and they are used to having anglers staying there. Sadly, the Bull is no longer owned by an angler but they do "understand" about tackle and, to an extent, bait as well.

As Fred says, the B&B's around Ringwood and Christchurch are very good and really do cater for anglers, with tackle and bait storage, early breakfast and some will even pack you a sandwich for lunch.

I will be back for a trip for the last 12 days of September, (in time for the FM match?) so if you are around then let me know and we could try for a day on the Hale syndicate between Downton and Breamore.

R

Richard Drayson

Hi Ron,

Peter's idea would be great if you were to book a holiday when he's back in the UK.
We meant to meet up last season but I couldn't make it unfortunately.
Maybe this time all three of us could meet up (John P as well as he's local)?

Anyway, here are some ideas for you, some accommodation in Christchurch and Ringwood, right in the heart of big fish country.

The Old Smithy
Salibury Road
Ibsley
(Opposite Ibsley Bridge)
Tel : 01425 474627
Close to the River avon and local lakes.
Dorset Stour, Royalty and Throop only 25 minutes drive
We Cater Solely for the Angler.

Judy Harrison
Little Forest Lodge
Poulner Hill
Ringwood
Hampshire
BH24 3HS
Tel : 01425 478848
Fax : 01425 473564
All rooms En-suite with TV, tea/coffee etc.
Lounge with bar, log fire, and patio
Hearty breakfasts.
Delicious dinners, Picnics

The Original White Hart
Market Place
Ringwood
Hants
BH24 1AW
Tel:01425 472702
Fax:01425 471993
15 En-suite rooms to let
All with Satellite TV
Full Menu available
Lunchtimes & evenings
Quality beers & wines
Bar meals available all day

Royalty View Guest House
24 Fairfield
Christchurch
Dorset
BH23 1QX
Telephone: 01202 485362
Joe and Tina Harrop welcome you to the the Royalty View Guest House, Christchurch. The accommodation available offers every facility for anglers and non-anglers alike. The guest house is a short walk from Davis Tackle, The Royalty Fishery and Christchurch town centre with plenty of pubs and resturants to choose from.

The guest house offers hot & cold in each room with tea and coffee making facilities. There is full central heating, TV lounge and car parking.

Facilities for anglers include : Early Breakfast (7am or 8am), packed lunches and flask as required, drying facilities and tackle shed with large bait fridge.

R

Ron Clay

That Royalty View guest house sounds great.

When can you get off Richard?

R

Richard Drayson

I don't work at the moment Ron, so I could meet up at anytime if you wanted to (Back pain permitting).

Been out of work due to a back injury since 1996. L5/S1 Facet syndrome with associated degenerative change and hypermobile bilateral sacroiliac joints. L4/L5 to a lesser degree. Also further degenerative changes in the low thoracic spine.

Put simply, my back's f****d. Wanted to explain this though, in case I might be accused of being a malingerer.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Richard,

I should arrive at the cottage around lunchtime on June 14th.
Fancy meeting up for a beer in the evening? The Bull at Downton?
Hopefully, this time we can get to fish together.

How is the Hale stretch looking?
Has there been much (any) rain recently?

If the Avon doesn't look as if it might produce, then I am toying with the idea of opening day on one of CAC's lakes.

What do you think?

D

Dave Slater

Ron,
Sounds like Richard has sorted you a few places out for accomodation. If the Avon doesn't fish well Longham free stretch on the Stour is pretty good. Free fishing with no restrictions on times. Fishes well at night. Some big fish on this stretch - chub, barbel, roach etc.

J

John Pleasance

Hi Richard,I'm up for most things, at more or less any time.

Is the Old Smithy accomodation info up to date?

I don't know why Ron want's to come down here though,he never stops moaning about Southerners,I expect he'll moan about our Ringwood bitter if it's not all frothy on top.

Peter,opening day on most of CAC lakes is likely to be pretty busy.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
John,

I think you are probably right about the CAC's waters on opening day.
Last year the Avon was very low and gin clear on the first day, so I went to Sommerly. Absolutely packed with anglers on almost every swim. It is a real dilemma where to go especially if there has been little rain and no colour in the Avon.

Don't worry about Ringwood beer, we can always treat Ron to a few pints of Badger over at my local pub, as they don't call it Tanglefoot for nothing.

Any local condition information closer to the day would be greatly appreciated.

D

Dave Slater

Ron,
John is right about the CAC lakes on opening day. What happens around here is that people tend to fish Ringwood's lakes through the close season then move onto Christchurch's lakes on June 16th. Last season, as June 16th. was on a Sunday, I fished a quiet stretch on the Upper Ouse on opening day. Very pleasant. I had the day off on June 17th and fished a very quiet Christchurch lake. I had it to myself until the evening, when John arrived for an after work session. He informed me that there had been twelve people on the lake the previous day. I very rarely see anybody else when I fish this lake. Both rivers around here, Avon and Stour, look very nice at the moment and I think it will be a good start. If you don't fancy this area a place I would recommend is the Belmont golf centre at Hereford. There is a cracking stretch of the Wye there. We have had the last few Chub Study Group AGM weekends there. The food is very good and the bar is open late. You do not have to drive, just walk down to the river as the fishing comes with the accomodation. Everything in one place! It is an excellent stretch with some big fish. If you want a change there are good day ticket stretches nearby on the Wye and the Lugg.

R

Richard Drayson

Peter,

The Bull at Downton on the 14th sounds OK.
I'll send you a private email about that.

John,

The Old Smithy accomodation I found on the internet, so I don't know if it's up to date or not.

If Ron books his holiday when Peter is here maybe all five of us (Ron, Dave, Peter, John and myself) could meet up then?

Could be a good crack and perhaps we could introduce Ron to real beer from Ringwood???

R

Ron Clay

I will be booking my holiday next week.

Actually all I realy want in terms of beer is a few cold tinnies of Castle Lager.

And that reminds me, our local Morrisons is stocking Castle at the moment.....

D

Dave Slater

I am not sure if I will be able to make it if you all meet up. I have just taken my wife to hospital for bi-lateral knee replacements. She is having the operation tomorrow. It depends on how she does after the operation. I am ok to fish on the 16th. as some friends will be spending the day with her, but I have made prior arrangements for my fishing that day. E_mail me if you are all meeting up on the 14th and I will see if I can make it.