Define Fly Fishing?

dezza

Reaction score
I've decided to put this thread in under general knowing that a fair percentage of our members do not fly fish. But I would like to know, specifically from the non-fly fishers what they think.

As we all know, there are many waters, particularly those having populations of trout, salmon and grayling, where anything other than bona fide fly fishing is banned.

So let's define what we think fly fishing is. And I certainly will not pour scorn on any answers.

As long as you don't pour scorn on me as I do a lot of fly fishing.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Fly Fishing: Fishing with a purpose-made fly rod, to cast an artificial fly using a purpose made fly line, so one is casting the line rather than the lure/fly.

Fly-rodding, as above but using bait instead of an artificial.

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Just how many salmon are taken on a 'fly' Ron, as opposed to bits of wool/feathers or anything else that is desinged to be anything but a fly.

Just how many salmon are taken on a 'fly' Ron, as opposed to bits of wool/feathers or anything else that is desinged to be anything but a fly.

I have nothing against fly anglers, but would I let my doughter marry one :j

Last edited:

Windy

Reaction score

I have nothing against fly anglers, but would I let my doughter marry one :j

Crikey mate, you can say that again again.....

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
Fly Fishing: Fishing with a purpose-made fly rod, to cast an artificial fly using a purpose made fly line, so one is casting the line rather than the lure/fly.

I started Fly tying and -fishing last year and tend to agree to that, although i know a few more categories into which the fly fishermen are separated (or have separated themselves into).

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Fly Fishing is a easy way of fishing when you just don't have the time to fish properly, with 3 oz leads, 3.5lb tc rods and a set of Alarms ................. That is what fly fishing is.

davebike

Reaction score
Answering the question but cheating as I can and do sometimes use fly gear

I would define fly fishing as using a weighted line to cast and fish a Artificial bait ie not a food substance

The fly could be a imitation of a insect crustacean fish or a pure lure or even a pellet or bread

I think the moment you move to using a real pellet on a hook or a maggot on the tip of the fly your are bait fishing with a fly rod

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It's complicated by the fact that in some cases - stalking and close range nymphing - there's little or no fly-line in use.

So my definition would be a method of angling using a lure made of a hook or hooks to which materials have been bound with thread or wire.

Except, of course, the "Datsun"... angling sometimes seems to consist entirely of mutually contradictory principles and rules, doesn't it.
Part of why it's so absorbing, I guess.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Fly fishing is the art of catching what is in all truth an easily caught trout appear as hard as possible by handicapping the angler with all manner of imitation baits supposedly disguised as flies when a simple maggot would catch as many trout as he desired. The fly angler must be seen to wear the approved clothing spoiled by the random attachments of bits of fluff all over it including his strange hat that doesn't resemble a baseball hat by any stretch of the imagination.

When loosing a fish he must learn to say hurrrrrrrrmph! and not use foul expletives lest he be thought to be a common angler.

If my suicidal tendencies are honed fine enough I might just try it this coming Sunday but I may, through sheer frustration, be forced into sticking a maggot on the hook the better to catch a trout.

Last edited:

Colin North the one and only

Reaction score
Surely, the catching of fish by means of a baitless hook decorated in such a way as to fool the fish into believing it is something edible or a threat that needs dealing with. I would suggest that this encompasses stalking bugs where little on no fly line is out of the rod, lure fishing where you might drag the bottom with a Hi D line, dapping, where no fly line is involved at all, bubble float fishing, again where no fly line is involved etc. Of course, where that leaves Cod fishing with feathers or Mackeral fishing with feathers, I don't know.

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Fly fishing

Paddling with a purpose and a pleasant way to spend time by the water when proper fishing is not permitted.

The thrill of landing a hard fighting fish on the lightest of rods spoiled only by the realisation that it is just another bloody trout.

A 'fly' Angling. a fishhook dressed with hair, feathers, silk, tinsel, etc., so as to resemble an insect or small fish, for use as a lure or bait.

The definition is open to some interpretation but historically has become accepted as the use of an imitation of a food item on a hook delivered without weights on the line. Sub categorised as dry fly, wet fly, nymph, lure, dapping etc. Although you will be hard pressed to find such definitions in a dictionary.

Where are you going with this Ron? Looking for a loophole so that you can keep fishing after Sunday ;)