Telescopic Heavy Picker

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Does anyone know if such a thing exists.
generally 8' to 10' with a test curve 1.75lb ideally.
Mainly want it for margin fishing carp puddles etc. in summer.
The Masterline Avon/Quiver telescopic looks about right, can anyone comment on this rod.

A

alan outen

i dont know about that rod but i have tried two bigger rods for sea fishing casting weight of about 7 ounces and snapped them both. the last one using a wedge that weighs 48oz. i wont touch one again. dont know if this helps

Tim Birch

Reaction score
This is the kind of thing I've heard, but surely there must be decent ones somewhere.
It is a good idea.

A

alan outen

my kids have got the toy ones and they seem ok, so may be i am just unlucky. the only reason i wanted one was so i could take it camping. if you find a decent one or hear of one could you let me know. cheers

Tim Birch

Reaction score
I certainly will, though for once this sites opinions don't seem very forthcoming.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
I do own a 7 foot shakespeare mustang which is ideal for spinning for smaller perch / trout, though never had anything over a pound on it yet, and it didnt take long for one of the rings to come free from the blank, it has seen its share of araldite.

A

Andrew Thomas

I've a JW tele Avon/quiver, very nice but only about 1.25lb tc. Bought it to chuck in the car for holidays.

S

Shrek

Masterline also do a John Wilson telescopic carp rod. TC is 2.5lb. Action is described as faultless.

Also, Bob James has a new range out with Masterline that, presumable, are better than the JW one's. Reason being they all cost ?250 regardless of which one you get.

Might be worth checking those out, depending on the funding status.

R

Rasmus Keis

A couple of years ago the DAM Hypron got great reviews in the carp-press. They had both 11'and 12' models in the 2,25-2,50 lbs range.
Its a bit heavier than you asked for, but the prices were very good (compared to danish prices I would guess around ?100).
Maybe its possible to still find some, even though its a couple of years ago they entered the market.
:) Rasmus, Denmark

J

John Pleasance

Tim, I have no idea what a telescopic heavy picker is.

I also don't know anything about telescopic rods,but Fox have in the fairly recent past brought out a travel rod,which I seem to remember was a four piece 12 footer with a 2lb test curve.It might be worth a look,I think it was just under ?100

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, I'll have a search to see if I can find any more info on these rods.
Andrew, regarding the JW Avon what do you think of it as a usable rod, not just holiday use?