Smells a bit....

Tim Birch

Reaction score
Had the same kind of thoughts myself but generally due to good old cancer sticks.
Never smoked much when trying a new pond as I was always active and fishing for bites, trying this that and the other, but after cracking it would relax more, thus smoke more and the fish would just not come.
Stopped lighting up and they seemed to start again.
This was a natural pond though and I'm not sure this applies to more commercial fisheries as the effect is'nt realy the same. Then again on commercials there must be so many tainted hands throwing in ground bait that maybe the fish are used to it, (I wonder if some could get a nicotine habit? hmmmm...)

W

Wayne Biggin

Here's my chance to make a fortune. I'm going to bring out a range of deodorants for anglers to use before they set out. So far I'm working on three types.
1 "Maggot- the mark of a matchman".
2. "Scopex - for the angler who doesn't have to try too hard".
Finally for the saltwater guys there's
3 "Lugworm - Cod and women just can't resist it"
This time next year I'll be a millionaire

G

Gary Knowles

Tim - I stopped fishing with a guy who wouldn't stop smoking. We had to share a car to and from venues and I didn't want to risk the stench of tobacco on my bait.

If in doubt, don't risk it I say !

daren heslop

Reaction score
Last year i stopped smoking and had 4 pb's.Trouble is since the close season ive been to the pub too often and started again!Ive got to stop before the 16th.

D

Dave Slater

I used to fish for carp, often with a guy called Tony Hall, many years ago. I used to smoke in those days, as did Tony. Sometimes Tony's wife, who didn't smoke, would roll his baits. I would sometimes cadge some of these baits. When we used these baits we always caught more fish. I haven't smoked for twenty years now and I think I now catch far more big fish, of all species, than I used to. I know there are more big fish around these days but I also believe that not smoking helps.

D

David Will

Packet of fags ?4.00 x 365 days = ?1456.00.
Thats a lot of tickets, petrol and bait.

Tim Birch

Reaction score
In all honesty, amongst the threat of lung cancer and heart disease, not catching did more to make me cut down on the ciggies. (Sorry Embassy!)

S

Stuart Bullard

............7 days into giving up (although most had some "additives").

Have probably averaged max 2 hours sleep a night. Its not for the fishing though. I have a small card with my childrens picture on. Every time I want one, I get the picture out.

Wish me luck, 'cos I feel like I am going through hell at the moment.

A

Andrew Thomas

Go for it Stuart, I've seen some horrible things caused by smoking, it's worth it mate.

S

Stu Black

Stuart, a mate of mine asked his 11 year old daughter what she wanted for her birthday, she said Stop smoking for me Dad. On her birthday he stopped, I saw him a couple of weeks later and he told me its killing him but he cannot break that promise.

Good luck with it mate, try the patches and have a lozenge too when you most need it.

Stu (havin a smoke)

S

Stuart Bullard

Thanks guys. Until re-reading this post I hadn't actually thought about it today, so I am getting there.....slowly.

And should I make it, and then start preaching, you all have my full authority to give me a good kicking!!

F

Fred Bonney

As an occasional smoker, that is when fishing and down the pub....alright nearly occasional,I wish you luck Stuart.

L

Les Clark

Worse thing I ever did,started smoking at about 15yrs old,keep trying to pack it in ,the older I get, the less willpower I seem to have,so stuart keep at it mate and good luck.

G

Gerry Castles

Stuart stick with it mate. I stopped ten years ago this september after trying at least a hundred times before. I can truthfully say that it was the best thing I ever did, nothing compares. It doesn't matter how old you are, the improvements in your general health will be phenominal and almost instantaneous if you make it.
I used 'Nicowotsit' gum, only had six pieces out the packet, they tasted so foul that I convinced myself that I was actually trying to give up the gum. By the ime I'd kicked the gum habit I also had kicked the ciggy habit. It isn't easy but if you have the right reason, then its' not
that hard.
When you've kicked'em then you've earned the right to preach all you want.
Good Luck
Gerry

S

Stuart Bullard

Once again - many thanks. Another hurdle past. First time down the local (which for 9 days is a miracle in itself) and got thru it....actually quite easily!

Trouble is I am feeling as though I may give in on something else.

......I will not buy a bait boat, I will not buy a bait boat, I will not buy a bait boat, I will not buy a bait boat, I will not buy a bait boat, I will not buy a bait boat, I will not buy a bait boat.

L

Les Clark

Put the cig money towards a----baitboat.Beter than fags.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

I'm on my 3rd year of not smoking---thanks to Zyban tablets from the doctor

I smoked between 25 and 30 a day for over 45 years and had tried many many times to give up

After finishing the course of tablets (2 months course)I have never felt like smoking --in fact the thought doesn't even enter my head and sitting with smokers doesn't bother me at all ...

S

Stuart Bullard

Now, there is an idea Les!!

Actually, I walked a lake that I might target this year, it was bloody huge, and guess what......it screamed a bait boat!

I will not buy a bait boat, I will not buy a bait boat, I will not buy a bait boat, I will not buy a bait boat, I will not buy a bait boat.

R

Rodney Wrestt

Ahhh, but Stuart, you might build a bait boat,build a bait boat,build a bait boat,build a bait boat, it'll give you something else to take your mind off......the other thing.