Piking in the fens

R

Ron Clay

Sorry chaps but Ray and Barrie's book: "Fishing for Big Pike", was published in 1970, not 1977.

By 1977, Ray had virtually packed up fishing.

What a great shame. He was my most unforgettable character.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Was just looking at a picture of you in a boat Ron 'sleepily' watching Ray land a tench in Ireland

R

Ron Clay

Oh great memories Eddie. If I remember right, I had had no sleep for about 5 days.

Webby could go without sleep for 3 weeks in those days.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Ron I'm actually over in Massachusetts at the moment---for 6 weeks in fact
I hope to be going out after some striped bass tomorrow off the point of Plum Island ( dont know if you have been up in that area )if you have --I'm about a 10 min drive away its at the mouth of the Merrimac River---the fish average around 6-7 lbs but can go up to about 28 lbs, so hopefully I may get a few ...

R

Ron Clay

Good luck Eddie.

Don't forget to spend some of your money on tackle. It's a bargain compared to UK prices.

C

Chris Bishop

You're right Ron - the edition I've got is dated 1971 and I mis-typed it. Sorry, I was totally knackered after driving around all over the place and did about 10,000 words that day when I got home.

How long are you around in June..? Be good to meet up for a few hours, I still laugh when I remember the banter with you and your mate from a couple of years back.

Glad to see you're back and planning another assault on the Fens. I'll phone the pub in Ramsey and tell them to stock up on bacon rolls.........

C

Chris Bishop

Just going back to the article I came away buzzing after chatting with Mick Brown.

I can't believe the guy's enthusiasm, he's been at it a while now but his eyes literally sparkle when he talks about fishing.

I only hope I'm still enjoying it that much in a few years' time - despite his incredible catches he regards himself as a sport fisherman, who enjoys trying different things and getting to grips with new methods.

Truly a breath of fresh air.

R

Ron Clay

Right Chris, I shall be definitely in the George on Sunday 15th june from about 12-30 pm on. Come and join us. We will be planninjg our fenland campaign.

All other FM members are welcome.

Dear Sarah might be on hand to tend to your every need. She makes the most incredible bacon butties.

C

Chris Bishop

Fantastic mate, if I don't manage to make it down for a pint I'll try and collar you somewhere on the bank when you're down. Might even make a Fens piece.

Keep your mobile switched on this time, or e-mail me a number for the place where you're staying.

Sure some of the other guys like Andy and Chris H would love to meet you too. They're richer than me so they might even stand you a pint of Ole Shuck and one of Sarah's baps...........

R

Ron Clay

There are some lovely characters who meet in the George. There is Ralph, and dear old Ray from Barnsley. Not Ray Webb of course, although he is similar in outlook.

He has a dirty old boat called "Stingray" and he motors up the Fourty Foot most days to the marina at Ramsey to get pissed in the local. Then he motors all the way back to Ramsey Fourtyfoot, missing the banks by some strange quirk of fate to have a nightcap in the George before collapsing in his caravan.

Richer than me!!

I'm not very rich, I still have my ancient Citroen Diesel which has just passed its umpteenth MOT.

I intend this vehicle to become as famous as Webby's old Morris Van.

Look forward to seeing you Chris and I'll try and get your namesake - Chris Rickards, together with John Weston, one of my greatest friends, to come and have a drink with us.

Anyone who is a FM member is invited.

And that's for real.

D

David Marrs

Hi Guys,

Chris thats yet another excellent chapter in your Fenland series!

Regards,
Dave

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Chaps,

Chris is right Ron, I'd love to meet you (And any other F.M members for that matter.)and swap a few tales.I'll try and sort something out for the Fifteenth.

If you fancy a change of venue while you are down here Ron give me a call, it'd be nice to show you a few of the waters in the
South of the fens (The Black Fens.) or have you fished here before i.e around Cambridge?

Chris, how's an evening next week looking?

Regards Chris

R

Ron Clay

Chris Hammond,

Thanks for your mail. I am always delighted to meet other members of FM. Let's face it we have the best angling website in the world and I have visited a few others make no mistake.

I am staying in Benwick for the whole of the week up until Sunday 22nd.

If you email me I'll give you my cellphone and land line number.

C

Chris Bishop

Chris, Monday or Tuesday looking ok, Tues marginally better as I can get away earlier.

C

Chris Bishop

I've now corrected one or two errors in the piece as well - sorry...

Chris Hammond

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

I couldn't agree more about F.M. I'm looking forward to saying hello when you get down, I'd like to hear some of your tails about the Trent and it's various characters. I'll e-mail you as suggested.

Chris, Tuesdays good for me, I'll give you a call on monday to see if you can still make it.

Regards Chris