Aquascope

Andy M

Reaction score
I just read an article by Martin Bowler about using an Aquascope to get of view clear view of the bottom of a swim. I have easy access to a boat on most of the lakes I fish (when the ice melts!) and would like to give it a go. Does anyone have any experience of using one and what do they think and secondly has anybody made their own? I see they are available in the UK (about £40) but have not found yet in Denmark where I live.

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
It can be interesting to see what the bottom looks like. No doubt about about that.

What is more interesting is if the silt, for example, is foul or "good" silt, containing bloodworm, etc. You can´t see this, only test it with a spong that you drag along the bottom and smell it.

The GTM 40+ is a thermometer that measures the temperature as it falls through the water and tells you the temperature of the bottom (when it "hits" the bottom, it stops taking the temperature.) This will tell you a more important detail what could be going on down there than the bottom structure, i guess.

I don´t own one myself (yet) but it is on my wish-list for this spring ;)

Dave Burr

Reaction score
Do they come in Realtree? Most carpers wouldn't be seen dead with an item of kit painted orange:eek:

I know that on waters such as Wraysbury the use of a glass bottomed bucket (well, that's what it is) is seen as necessary for locating fish or their feeding spots. A mate told me of one small 3-4' diameter clear gravel spot that would only produce a bite if the bait was placed in a dinner plate sized area at one edge of it. This was done from a boat with said bucket. You'd be one hell of caster to do it from the bank!

If you have access to a boat then I can see that it would increase your knowledge of the water immensely.

Tilman Bieselt

Reaction score
Do they come in Realtree? Most carpers wouldn't be seen dead with an item of kit painted orange:eek:

No, it´s dark blue, so "the carper" has to use it by night :D

Well, both tools have their advantages and sometimes it is both that you need, i guess.

If i am not mistaken the GTM will also show you the depth where the water temperature changes (thermoline ? anyway, we call it Sprungschicht), which is really helpful in may situations, e.g. Springtime with a wind blowing towards the bank ...

If the pond has no features and the same depth throughout the lake then the bucket will help you to find clear gravel spots, which can be an advantage ...

Andy M

Reaction score
Thanks Merv, reckon I will knock one up for the spring. Tilman, thanks also for the tip but as most of the lakes I fish are fairly shallow and Denmark is windy the lakes are rarely if at all stratified so top temp pretty much equals bottom temp. and a thermometer on a string does nicely. The idea of the aquascope is to get a better look at the bottom, silt, mud, gravel, stones, thick weed thin weed etc. I'll let you know how I get on with the glass bottomed bucket!

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Better still, THIS
n77fx_camera3.jpg