Fixed Spool Reels

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
I recently changed spools on my Maver Sportera reels and two of them are not spooling up evenly now, the top part of the spool is not receiving as much line as the middle and bottom of the spool. It seems like the spool needs to be lower down on the reel but I cant seem to get it any lower. I have had the reels for about a year now and dont remember noticing this when I first bought them. Has anyone had the same problem and know of a way to fix it as I really dont wont to send them to Maver and be without two of my reels!

Cheers

Jon

Andy Young

Reaction score
Jon,
Sorry, but I've got nothing else to help other than give Maver's UK distributors a ring and see if than can, they may even offer some 'curtesse'* reels!

Andy

* spelling

T

Tony O'dell

I have found that the way line is distributed on the spool often depends on what tension you load it on ie load under high tension and the line distribution is different to when it is loaded with little or no tension.
Alternatively you could load 25 or so yards of line by hand when you begin putting the line on the reel, loading it with a biase towards the lower part of the spool. It is unlikely you will ever need the line right at the bottom of the spool
This is how i used to load my old Mitchell 300's...great reel for its time...but line lay on deeper spools left a lot to be desired.

Andy Young

Reaction score
Jon,

Yeah, try that!

Tony,

I could never get the line right on my 300s, all because the bail arm took the line a different way to that of the new spool of line, line twists everywhere, couldn't sort it! But I still love them, I fancy trying some of the newer ones!