Caught one but no more!

rick mullins

Reaction score
Hi all!
I caught my first ever carp yesterday at 16.5lb. I was delighted!I was fishing a worm over a bed of corn.
This was a virgin water in Canada and I don't think it has been baited with corn before so I opted for the worm thinking the corn would still bring them to the worm,and it worked! ONCE!!! The fish were feeding as I could see mud clouds and the were surfacing now and again.I don't think they were spawning because it was only a few times that they surfaced as opposed to roiling around in the weeds etc. I tried hair rigged corn and worm with corn but to no avail! I fished visible fish in the margins too and I ledgered in different (non baited)areas but still to no avail.
CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT I DID WRONG OR SOMETHING! Is this a normal thing in carp fishing? How long does a bait work for before it's no longer any good. Rick.

rick mullins

Reaction score
Also,I noticed on another thread that you were talking about watercraft. Can someone explain the details of this please?
any info would be great.
Thankyou,
Rick.

D

Dave Rothery

watercraft is about finding feeding fish.....which you had!
the fish could have been feeding on bloodworm, and its difficult to get a take when they are heavily on naturals.trick is to find a bloodworm bed thats been cleaned out, and fish over it - the fish will keep checking to see if its "ripe"
i dont think you need to worry about a bait "blowing" - you haven't got the pressure on the carp, and most of them will never see the bank. i dont think that maize/worm will ever trully blow, you might have to modify the presentation, but i wouldn't worry about it yet!
try popping up the maize a couple of inches

rick mullins

Reaction score
Dave,
1)is there a bait that I can make to immitate(odour or visual) blood worm?

2)How do I find a cleaned out bloodworm bed?

3)Do I pop up corn because of the soft/sinking bottom?
Thanks a million!
Rick.

D

Dave Rothery

1/ no!

2/ a lot of time spent watching. if you cast an unbaited hooklength to a suspected area and get fat, juicy bloodworms, it a prime area. if they come back looking a bit knackered, its likely its just been fed on

3/ yes and no. the fish are feeding in, not on the silt, so a bottom bait MAY be better, though popping it up may work as well. trial and error!

steve fox

Reaction score
well done rick on catching your first carp.have you tried prebaiting with corn for a few days,then fish it.can you get maggots over there?.try a slow sinking bait,maybe bread flake!. cheers for now steve.

rick mullins

Reaction score
Thanks Dave!
Steve, prebaiting for a few days at a time is just too hard as it is a 80min drive there and back! They only sell maggots in winter for ice fishing and at $2.50 for about 60 maggots!!!I guess I have too do the gozzer thing!? I will try bread next time and see if it works. Does bread work on virgin waters?
Thanks all,
Rick.

steve fox

Reaction score
yes mate.give it a go.can you get your hands on any boilies?.try on your local carp sites to see if they can help.cheers

rick mullins

Reaction score
Cheers mate!
I don't think I want my carp to become bait conisours yet mate so I think I will leave the boilies till I really need to use them!
Cheers,
Rick.