catching fish or fishermen?

flightliner

Reaction score
It's often been said- and written ,that many items of tackle and equipment are made to catch fishermen and not fish ,I can think of one or two that i have seen over the years that could fall into this catagory- anyone out there that might know of any???:)

Rickrod

Reaction score
A throwing stick bag.......why

flightliner

Reaction score
HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! guys--- priceless, i have just peed my pants reading the first four replies! Any more out there?

r1paul

Reaction score
:rolleyes:Couldn't`t we say the same of most of fishing gear ?
Last years super duper must have rod/reel is now deemed not good enough compered to this seasons super duper gear . :wh

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Coarsefishers should consider themselves relatively "unhit upon" - for the past fifteen years or so (since 1992 actually, when "The Movie" of Norman Maclean's novella A River Runs Through It was released in the States then went worldwide) flyfishers have been taught to want (and to believe that they're nothing as anglers without) brilliantly branded, high-end male jewellery - ever-faster and -thinner fly rods, reels in colours that could torch the retina and with drags that would stop a run-away train; and as for all clip-on accessories, designer vests, luggage, waders and outer and inner layer wear...

The fishing coach

Reaction score
Coarsefishers should consider themselves relatively "unhit upon" - for the past fifteen years or so (since 1992 actually, when "The Movie" of Norman Maclean's novella A River Runs Through It was released in the States then went worldwide) flyfishers have been taught to want (and to believe that they're nothing as anglers without) brilliantly branded, high-end male jewellery - ever-faster and -thinner fly rods, reels in colours that could torch the retina and with drags that would stop a run-away train; and as for all clip-on accessories, designer vests, luggage, waders and outer and inner layer wear...

It's only a matter of time.

John Howard

Reaction score
Newark needle float mate,a total pile of poop.

Have to disagree with you there. :wh I still have my free gift off the comic, and its in regular use.

I cut off the two vanes and turned it into a brilliant baiting needle.:D:D

Dave Burr

Reaction score
And mine have stirred many a pot of paint:)

I agree that the fly fishing world is often taken for a ride. I larf when I see the 'must have fly' for catching fish that will probably only ever see one fly with a hook in it. It is always reported as 'the fly that is doing all the damage this year' when trout will happily take the same flies that were catching them a hundred years ago.

For the coarse angler I think CSL pellets are a rip off. You can buy a sack full of them for about 3 or 4 quid yet they are sold at the same cost as trout pellets. From my experiments in an aquarium, I don't think they have any pulling power anyway, the liquid - yes, but the pellets - save your cash.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Okay, coarsefishers can be aspirational and super-competitive, having to be seen with The Latest and The Right Stuff (think eye-wateringly priced poles and matchfishers, think Scene Water Carp Boys...), but they're not total, blinded by the pretty puff-'n'-guff, idiots; there's still a healthy scepticism about them; and, besides, few could or would be willing to part with the equivalent of $600 or £600 for a rod that merely slings a lump of lead or flicks a float and hits bites at best marginally better than one a quarter or a third of the price. Top-end U.S. fly rods, however, are VERY good (I know, I have owned and been using them since the 1970s), and might JUST justify their cost, but coarse gear...? I do hope that coarsefishing will never go the designer way that gamefishing has gone, for it will deter a lot of potential anglers from starting out and make others give up - already a very real consequence (and with more on the way) of the Branded Lifestyle Flyfishing Dream as exported from gorgeous Montana, Colorado, Idaho etc in the Rocky Mountain States, American West.

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
By pure co-incidence the film is on television as I type. The tackle features in it not a jot, apart from the Father's casting teachings with a metronome. ( I have Canadian pals who cast this way, but it does make for enormous loops in the sky)

I cannot believe the price of some fly reels..particularly when you are supposed to play the fish on the rod and line and not from the reel.

How about this......what is that in Pounds sterling? £700 ???
Abel Super 12W Steelhead Fly Reel, FREE FLY LINE

Or their offering for this year.....

DeYoung Signature Series Edition

You'll need a pair of sunglasses or a sick-bucket for this lot....

Abel Fly Reels : Limited Runs

I actually know a very famous fly-fisher who loves these things and got them to make a one-off for him. I didn't ask the price.

flightliner

Reaction score
A throwing stick bag.......why

Or the throwing stick itself? years ago when i was seriously into carp i simply cut a piece of plastic waste pipe to length, plugged one end, cut the other, heated it up over the gas ring and put a gentle bend in it-- result-- a throwing stick. total cost- about twenty pence when the shop prices at the time was in the region of £7/15 . When i showed it to my mate he was spitting feathers:mad:
by the way rickrod, its only a matter of time before you will be able to buy a bag for a bag:D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
By pure co-incidence the film is on television as I type. The tackle features in it not a jot, apart from the Father's casting teachings with a metronome. ( I have Canadian pals who cast this way, but it does make for enormous loops in the sky)

It wasn't the gear in "The Movie" (after all, the real-life events that the book detailed happened in the first quarter or so of the 20th Century), it was the dream that it sold of a simpler, better America - unspoiled, wild, beautiful, just you and the river and, in the film's case, figuring things out about yourself and your family as you fished with your wayward doomed brother and Pa. It touched a chord, reached deep into the American psyche, made people want to have some what they were seeing on the screen - to get outdoors, to wade a wild river and prettily present a fly to a guile-less trout, and become a better, more authentic person as you did so. Big potential market ... which was duly catered for - tackle, tutors, guides, operators, fishing lodges...

Rickrod

Reaction score
Or the throwing stick itself? years ago when i was seriously into carp i simply cut a piece of plastic waste pipe to length, plugged one end, cut the other, heated it up over the gas ring and put a gentle bend in it-- result-- a throwing stick. total cost- about twenty pence when the shop prices at the time was in the region of £7/15 . When i showed it to my mate he was spitting feathers:mad:
by the way rickrod, its only a matter of time before you will be able to buy a bag for a bag:D

I'am sure it is

Rickrod

Reaction score
theres even a bag to put your baccy tin in..............

Last edited: