Lights on floats

rick mullins

Reaction score
Will a lighted float scare away the carp when night fishing? Is there a particular colour light that works best?
Rick.

S

Stuart Bullard

Rick, hopefully this web site would never consider any question such as yours stupid, because basically, if you ask a genuine question about fishing, that is fine by me (us?).

To answer your question. I went fishing last summer with the dad of one of my sons mates. He hadn't really done much fishing before (although I am no expert). So, I set up my bivvy, pods, buzzers etc etc. He set up his umbrella (not even a proper fishing one) and proceeded to set up his float fishing rod with a "lighted float". Eventually I crashed out (with his son and mine in the bivvy), while he was still sat out all night float fishing.

He caught 5, I caught 3.

OK, I was a bit fresher in the morning, but in my experience the answer is no!

G

goff dyer

I DONT THINK IT IS A STUPID Q, AS FOR THE LIGHT SCARING THE FISH. MANY YEARS AGO MYSELF AND A MATE USED TO NIGHTFISH A SMALL POOL IN A FIELD AT LYSWEN NEAR LANGORSE LAKE, ALL WE COULD AFFORD THOSE DAYS WAS FLOAT TACKLE. WE USED TO SEARCH ALL THE SHOPS FOR THE BIGGEST TORCH WE COULD FIND ESPECIALLY THE ONES WITH THE BIG SQUARE 6 VOLT BATTERIES. WE WOULD SIT ON OUR OLD BASKETS CAST OUT, TORCH WOULD BE ON THE FLOOR BETWEEN OUR LEGS SWITCH ON AND SEARCH FOR THE FLOAT WE USED TO CATCH LOADS OF WILDIES BETWEEN 2 AN 5LB. THE LIGHT CERTAINLY DID NOT BOTHER THEM.
P/S THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

alan strickland

Reaction score
I fished a local canal during late winter early spring,the water was crytal clear and around 2ft deep.fishing night`s using the green crack and shake beta lights got me an 11lb8oz mirror and a 4lb grass carp.given time i think they would steer well clear off them but not that many people float fish at night, especialy for carp..
If they are spooked try fishing well over depth an AA near the hook for the lift bites.Either way be ready for your eyes playing trick`s on you ,after a few hour`s it can be like watching UFO`s.

alan strickland

Reaction score
Another way if you still want to use float rods is to light ledger and tape beta light`s to your rod tips quiver style

rick mullins

Reaction score
Thanks for the messages guys! I will use the beta lights and see what happens.

J

Jon Moores

You're actually more likely to have a problem with them trying to take the float - I kid not. Years ago I used to use betalights when mixer fishing after dark and carp frequently went for the float.

S

Stu Black

hmmm funny you should say that Jon. I've noticed that in the past too, me and a mate were talking about it and he came up with the idea of legering one in the vicinity of the hook bait. I'm going to try it on one rod some time this year (as long as there's no one around to see) Carp are inquisitive, so maybe???

Has anyone ever tried this before?

Or are we being mental?

G

goff dyer

WE ARE ALL MENTAL ANYWAY STU, I KNEW BOYS WHO USED THEM SEAFISHING FOR FLATTIES THEY SAID THEY HELPED CATCH THEM.

M

Mike Lee

They do Goff (or is it Geoff), they really do!

I used to put a small silver spinner on for flatties during the day and a betalite for after dark.

BTW, if you type in capitals, people think you're SHOUTING.

It's great for me, being a bit luggy and old and that but some have sensitive hearing. ;-)

S

Stu Black

Damn right about your hearing Mike, I had to shout loud enuff to wake the dead to get you up.

Jay Mordecai

Reaction score
Llyswen
I used to fish this lake a lot in the early 80's and any lights would affect the catch significantly.
Bye the way this lake is known as a haunted lake. Connections with Monks and Cromwell are known.
Any reports about unusual experiences about this lake would be appreciated.