"Coy" carp

Alan Bowles

Reaction score
Where i work we have a small lake stocked with carp mainly in the 5-15 lb bracket. I have been "educating" them into taking floating crust on the run up to june 16th. The problem i have is that even though i have been doing this for weeks now they still "swirl" at the crust and you rarely if ever get a confident slurp down. They will blow a piece of crust in and out a couple of times usually. I am anticipating a few problems connecting with them as a result of this anyone got any good tips or suggestions for wary surface feeders? The lake is about 5ft deep at best and a very intimate fishery so stealth is of the essence for these very coy carp( excuse the pun).

L

Les Clark

Alan,maybe they are getting used to it breaking up and sinking and then taking it?,dog biscuits may be better introduced as you can put more in and will take longer to sink and break up,and may entice them to take off the top?.

P

Phil Heaton

They seem to be breaking up the lumps and eating pieces that fall off, try using a large lump as a controller float / attractor and suspend a smaller piece on the hook 4" to 6" below. Another method to try is the zig-rig. This is a line free running through a 2 ounce bomb with ledger stops each side at say 24" to 60" from the hook. A piece of crust or bread is put on the hook (without squeezing the air out) and cast in the bait is then sunk against the bomb to any depth you require below the surface, bread can still be thrown over the top as an attractor.
Both these methods are productive especially when a lot of people are fishing floating baits.

Kiwi Carper

Reaction score
Try meaty Bites

Soft and hookable no need to soak just pick a bag up on way to venue, just keep trickling em in and let the breeze move em over water smell will soon attract carp

If they are that wary I wouldnt even bother on the surface as even if you catch one it will probably knock em back for the rest of the day,,,