work party.

A

Alan Areskog

Hi there.Im off on a work party sunday
8th june, you know the sort of thing cutting grass,clearing broken branches and general tidying up.Was just wondering how many others on this site manage to give up some time to help their club.The one that i went to at the start of last season only 6 of us turned up.

J

john conway

Alan, the last few years I?ve done as you and helped clear away brash and over hanging branches. Our club is made up of 50/50 game and coarse anglers and we seem to get the same old faces year in and year out. But that?s life; nearly every club and organisation I?ve belonged to is the same, some do and some don?t. What really pisses me off is the one?s who don?t and constantly whinge on and on.

R

Richard Drayson

I used to enjoy the working parties that I attended. Good laugh with fellow anglers and a chance to take a look at the waters.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years I've been on quite a few working parties, some have been really good fun, whilst others have been quite boring.

Those that have been enjoyable are the type where you get to change jobs during the day rather than get stuck with just the boring sort of things to do.

When I used to organise working parties I tried to plan the day so everyone got to try something new after about an hour. Also, it doesn't take much planning to take along a B-B-Q for both lunch and a meal at the end of the day.

I agree with Richard though, working parties can be a great way to take a good look at the waters.
John's experiences of the same faces year in and year out is very true.
It seems that only a very few are interested enough to get out and get their hands dirty on behalf of the entire club.

A

Ashe Hurst

Ive taken part in many work parties over the years.
some clubs insist that you attend at least two before the put you on the waiting list.
this i think is a good idear. Also some clubs insist that you take part in atleast two work parties a year or your membership will not be renewed the following season.

Again, its the same faces that seem to show up. the same as with my youth work, about 15 youth leaders and its the same 5 or 6 every time that attend meetings, or organise activities.

With a large club however there can sometimes be tomany turn up at work parties.
this can cause problems with whos doing what, is there enough tools to go around, 10people working and 20 standing around.

They do require carfull planning and numbers attending should cover the amount of work needed. Those left out this time should be given priority on the next work party.

daren heslop

Reaction score
I dont do working parties My excuse is that i dont involve myself very much with clubs or waters that have them.I do my best while on waters by picking up other peoples rubbish.

D

Dave O'L

Ours was on Sunday. 6 on one stretch & 2 on another.
Was I surprised it was only the commitee that turned up?

Mind you good laugh.
Why is it that it's always the one who can't swim that ends up on the ladder in the water or hanging over the water dealing with that willow branch?

Very taxing on the brain, such questions as how do you pull out a 30 ft big branch with other branches still attatched, out of a 8ft swim with 3ft high, overhanging bank???
We did it eventually with ropes, grapples, ladders in the water, saws & 1 burnt clutch of the car we drove across the field.

A

Ashe Hurst

still, your doing your bit Daren.
how many of us guilty of walking past other peoples litter on the bank? I was.

M

Mark Birchall

Have done a couple of work parties for my local clubs lake but as it's council land they keep it resonabley tidy. Im of the belief that you have to put in to take out if that makes sense.

D

Dave Rothery

the last club i was in, it was only the carp anglers that turned up for the work parties....and invariably most of the work was done on the "no carp" lakes - how could you tell the commitee was an "anti carp" commitee! - still, didn't mind us sorting their lakes (and favourite swims!) out for them!
what was worse is that a lot of the pleasure anglers moaned about the fact that we were the only ones that had a draw for the 16th and were let on 12 hours earlier than them. all they had to do was turn up on every sunday of the close season from 8am till 1pm for the privelige!

D

Dave Rothery

strangely, most of the litter we picked up was groundbait bags, empty tins of sweetcorn, empty spools of hooklenths etcetc, which wasn't exactly carp related, yet we got the blame for it - even on the pleasure lakes!
and people wondered why we were bitter!
this was, of course in the good old days of carp fishing (late 80's) before all these carp yobs started appearing!

A

Ashe Hurst

mark, remember the work party at Ryenook.
then the pub crawl round hastings then on to brighton.