Search for a six

J

john conway

Nice article Gary, there’s something special about that parallel world we enter on those cold mid winter nights when the warm weather lads have called it a day for another year and the rest of the world settles down in front of the TV. Like you Gary I’ll be there this winter trying like hell to turn just one of my last years 5lb pluses into that magical six.

D

Dave Slater

An excellent article Gary. I am really pleased you caught the fish. Nice feeling isn't it! It is much better to have caught the fish from your river on your terms than to have caught one from the 'circus' venues. Although I am fortunate enough to live in 'the magic triangle' I like to find my own fish rather than fish the popular venues. A nice surprise is always on the cards then. I am sure there will be more 'biggies' to follow for you next winter. You certainly deserve them.

J

John McLaren

Very evocative Gary, thanks! My Ribble best are still two fish spot on 5lb, the second on my last trip in March and on float gear - that was, I felt, something special. But the exploits of yourself and a few others on the website give me a hope of even better fish to come.

G

Gary Knowles

John / Dave / John,

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

There really is something special about winter chub fishing that only those who indulge in the obsession would understand.

Dave - there are always suprises, that's why we keep coming back.

John / John - good luck in your respective quests.

Gary

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Gary, well done on the "six" which is my target for this season.
My cottage is within the "magic triangle" but so far my PB is 5lb 9oz from the Hampshire Avon.

I really enjoyed your article as it brought back some good memories of a few of my own cold late night sessions from last year.

Best of luck for the new season.

R

Richard Drayson

Gary,
Isn't it nice when everything comes together at the right time and produces a biggie?
As Dave says, catching from your own river and not from one within the triangle must be a real bonus.
I hope it's the first of more to come for you.

G

Gary Knowles

Peter,

A cottage in the 'magic triange' eh ?

You lucky, lucky man.

Living there mate the 'six' cant be too far off so keep plugging away and let us all know when it finally arrives......

tight lines..

Gary

F

Fred Bonney

Another great read from you Gary.
Never had the willpower to fish through the dark hours, although I had some pretty cold days in the later part of the season before last, on the Upper Gt.Ouse. Especially fruitful for the big 6.
I shall be trying the Trent this year to see how they differ in size and fight.
I already know the river is a different kettle of ....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Gary, the luck runs out as I work and live in the US of A but I do get to be home 5 or 6 times a year.
I am leaving here on Friday to arrive UK on Saturday which should give me a day and a bit to get ready for the "glorious 16th"
Right now we have temps. up in the top 90's with humidity to match, so I really cannot wait to get back to (according to the BBC) approx 65 degrees around Salisbury.

R

Ron Clay

Nice article Barney. Its alway good to here of a big chub from a river.

I've had a few sixes myself but unfortunately they have come from gravel pits. My biggest ever river chub came from **** Walkers on the Upper Ouse about 6 years ago at 53/4 lbs/

My "best" chub was a fish of 5 lbs 3 oz taken from the Offchurch stretch of the Leam in 1996.

Bill Maitland

Reaction score
Gary,
about bloody time !
Great story mate, really enjoyed it. I've been lucky enough to break the six mark three times but that's been from my local upper Great Ouse, which does throw them up now and again.
I was getting worried though as I thought everyone had caught a seven except me.
P.S. maybe we're both crap, ha ha.
Well done.

G

Gary Knowles

Richard / Fred / John / Bill,

Cheers guys keep the faith...chub is the way forward !!!

Peter - 90 degrees, one long holiday in the states split with the occasional return to anglers paradise doesn't sound too unlicky mate !!!!!!!!

Graham Young

Reaction score
well done with the 6 gary, now you've got me all worked up ready for next week when I'll be out on my local stretch of the Colne (near Watford), not one of the best known rivers in the world but I did manage a 5lb5oz Chub on the very last cast of the last day of last season along with couple of 4's earlier in the day so I'm pretty sure there's a 6 in there somewhere!!! All I've got to do now is find it, hook it and land it, easy-peasy!! Happy Hunting everybody.

J

John McLaren

Graham, WOW! I fished the Colne near Watford a few years back so I know what part of it is like at least. You're lucky your 5.5 chub didn't get wedged between the banks!! :0)

Well done.

Roy Sutton

Reaction score
Loved the article. My ten minute lunch break ended up with a feeling of being on the River as the big old chub rolled in over the net.
Well Done.
Roy.

D

Dave Slater

I have just read your article again Gary. I think it brings over what chub fishing is all about. I see that you use the more traditional baits like bread and cheese, as I do. I think pellets and boilees, although they are tremendously effective, are better suited to carp fishing. It is nice to fish differently on the river. As you have prooved you can still get decent results. I am not sure about the luck element you mentioned. You thoroughly deserved your fish. They come along from time to time and things tend to even out. Also if you consider your mate Eric is unlucky to catch chub of 5-14 and 5-15 I hope to have a lot of bad luck next season, plus the occasional real 'lump' of course. I see your fish went for the near bank below you. This is a real problem with chub. Really big chub often show a liking for maggots and I have lost several very big ones on the feeder when they have got under the near bank. This is unavoidable as small hooks are often needed with maggots. I have got really fired up for next season reading your article again, only a few days to go. I don't know if you fish for chub in the summer but if you don't I suggest you give it a try as it can sometimes be as much fun as in the winter. I hope you get some more 'biggies' next season.

S

Stuart Harvey

After reading that, I just can't wait for the winter again. I love it, give me harsh frost,cold fingers and lovely lovely chub anyday.

L

Les Clark

Gary,Im not a chub man,nor have I fished a river for years,but excellent piece of writeing and chubing,whatever your "bag" when it comes right, "Magic".

Graham Young

Reaction score
John, you're right there it is a compact little fishery!!! Which is why I was particularly pleased with the fish. After my last posting, I gave in and went for a walk along my favourite stretch with a bag of liquidised bread, saw several big 4's and a couple of probable 5's all swimming around together. The river level must have gone up by a few inches with me dribbling off the bridge!!! (And they seemed interested in the bread). Roll on Monday.