New pair of waders

S

Stuart Harvey

I'm gonna invest in a new pair of waders. I don't want to spend a great as usual. I see Ron Thompson has some made out of Nylon. These only cost ?20 or I can get a normal rubber pair from Bennetts for ?20.

Which ones should I get?

S

Shrek

You could try Ebay. These are going for ?17.50 + P&P but I presume the prices you quote will also add on P&P. There are others listed, neoprene for example, that are a tad more expensive.

It's your choice mate. For what it's worth, I've got a pair of sewer hoppers and they are fine.

A

Ashe Hurst

Would the rubber uppers have a negative effect on a rabbits digestive system?

G

Gerry Castles

Stuart you get what you pay for with waders. The problem with cheap waders is they always pack up when you're wearing them in four feet of water. Nylon and rubber are not a good idea, they rot or tear too quickly and if they fit around the chest they usually dont fit around the crotch You don't have to spend a fortune to find something decent that will take a few hard knocks and last. Take a look at the stuff that Fishtec sell at www.fishtec.co.uk. You might find a bargain

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Le Chambeau are the Dogs Bo**o%ks sadly they are French and cost a bit more than most, BUT they are comfortable and last a good while. Plus they are repairable. They are so good I just spent ?95 on some knee length neoprenes, excellent in winter.

Colin

A

Ashe Hurst

Left mine in the garden to air, the rabbit ate both down to the knees.
Left them with long stragley bits like tassles.
Used to hook the toe part over the line, upside down, but for some reason laid them out flat, not knowing the Wabbit was out.

Wife and kidds found them funny to look at till i told them the Wabbit ate them, I then got a Ear bashing and my Daughter was crying thinking the Rabbit was going to Die.

daren heslop

Reaction score
Ive just bought some new,i think they are called Mukluks or Mudluks.Last pair lasted 4 years and only needed replaicing because i had a run while having a pee and fell into a briar patch when running back to my rods.Not the cheapest but excellent boots.

G

Gerry Castles

We were talking about waders Daren. Hope you weren't having a pee in your waders !

kevin brooks

Reaction score
Try the Ron thompson neoprene waist waders i am only 5ft 6" so they come up quite high on me , god knows what the chesty`s would have been like , i would have looked like smiffy from the Bash street kids! . but you can`t go wrong for ?55 .

R

Ron Clay

About 30 years ago I got fed up with cheap waders that kept rotting in the African Sun and got a pair of French "Aigles". Cost me a packet but they lasted me over 26 years before I dumped them.

Cheap waders are false ecomony.

C

Chris Bishop

Disagree - doesn't matter what you pay for them they still get leaks and puncture wounds, I just get the ?20 ones and change them each season.

S

Stuart Harvey

Just bought a pair of Ron Thompson waders for ?19.99. Bloke in shop swears by them and he even discouraged me from buying ?30 rubber pair.

C

Chris Bishop

I've got as much street cred as a bowl of walnuts Ian - just know it doesn't matter how much I fork out on waders they start leaking sooner rather than later.

One of the funnier things I've seen in recent seasons is a certain mate of some of the pikers on here, well-known to the likes of Gerry, Pete Waller, Barry K etc.

A few years back we were all fishing this big gravel pit on a bitterly cold day and me and a couple of mates had some fish out of this bay we were fishing into.

The person concerned was lure fishing and wearing chest waders. He's also quite a big bloke (clue...).

I noticed the reeds in this bay parting and a large-ish chap appears up to his waist in water and starts lobbing lures around where I've got my deadbaits.

I would have remonstrated but he is approx twice as heavy as me and, well, quite a big fella.

All of a sudden, we hear this string of expletives, the old poacher stands bolt upright and steps out of the water as daintily as Rudolph Nureyev doing the Nutcracker.

"Wossup big fella..?" we all sing out.

"Me bleedin' waders have sprung a leak," he replies.

Driving back to the car park, I pass said chap and Gerry Castles comparing notes about wet patch the size of a dinner plate around his, err, unmentionables.