Sausage meat paste

M

Martin Scullion

Can anyone give me an idea of a suitable binder which will help me make up a good quality sausage meat paste

J

John Pleasance

Fine breadcrumbs
Groundbait(take your pick which flavour)

other things I've seen recommended but not tried are Flour,ground hemp,custard powder,ground trout pellet.

D

Dave Slater

Martin,
Golden crumb, the stuff they use for coating fish before frying, is very good. It was very popular in the 1970's and 1980's but I haven't seen it used lately. As I always like to use something a little different on the rivers you have just given me an idea. I must get some if they still do it !

Graham Young

Reaction score
I just use finely liquidised bread. The really cheap stuff is fine, asda do a sliced loaf for about 17p. Cut off all the crust and chuck the slices in the food processor a bit at a time, when it's all broken down to a fine crumb add your sausage meat and continue to mix until well blended.

I use this method for all sorts of pastes, cheese, tuna, sweetcorn (goes a bit sticky tho')strawberry milkshake, custard powder, marmite etc.

When using the drier ingredients, I also add a knob of butter or a drop of oil (cooking not motor!!!) to help bind it together.

G

Geoff Cowen

Bran from the health food stores works well. I've used it a lot in the past to stiffen cat food. Eggs can be added and then divide the meat into small balls and cook them in boiling water for 1-2 minutes the same as making boilies.

K

Keith Williams

Martin
a very useful meat paste is as follows

1.0 lb fresh sausage meat
0.5lb very fine Trout Pellet Powder
1 egg ( beaten ) to bind
1 oxo cube crumbled

mix the meat, powder and cube 1st
then use egg binder slowly till you have a firm paste
Bag in small portions and freeze
add flavourings such as strawberry, esterberry etc as required before freezing
Use a Fish meal powder as an alternative to the trout pellet

Tight lines

R

Ron Clay

I used sausage meat a great deal in the 60s.

All we ever did to stiffen it us was to use a bit of flour and sausage rusk.