Best method mix?

J

Jefito B

New to Carping this season. I plan to fish on rod with a boilie and PVA web/string type set up and on the other rod I fancy using the 'fox' method. Just wondered what's a good (not too expensive!) method mix.....?

Thanks,
Jef

S

Stuart Bullard

Jef - how long is a piece of string!?!?!

Personally (and I am sure there will be many more experienced observations than mine) it will depend on the type of water as well as the mix.

For a more highly stocked (nee commercial) water I would tend to go for any of the good commercial mixes. I've been using Sillybait Black with corn, hemp etc added, and its been great, but frankly I think its been more down to the discipline of picking a spot and constantly building up the area by re-casting every 10-20 minutes, rather than the actual mix.

However on my other water, which has a smaller number of larger carp, I tend to use pellets moulded around a much bigger method feeder and leaving it longer (few hours) and then re-casting to different areas.

My only variation on this is where its highly stocked, but quite deep, such as Clattercote. Here I used the pellets because I wanted to know the mix got down to the bottom without breaking up and spreading all over the place. But there again that was only my interpretation!

If you search the articles I am sure Rik, or one of the other proper carpers, has written some pieces on it.

B

Birds Nest

mmm pellet, vitalin, corn all in a bucket.. add boiling water..

D

Dave Rothery

50/50 csl pellet(or maize flour) and vitalin - should cost ypu about ?25 for 50 kilo's! just add any other bits'n'pieces you want

S

Stuart Bullard

?25 for 50 kilo's Dave? That sounds cheap. Where?

Personally I have tried many variations and it has made sod all difference. It was more the tactics employed.

By the way, what has happened to Warren, Stu and Rik????

D

Dave Rothery

local farm supplies ?4.60 25kg ewe nuts (csl pellets) ?22.50 25kg vitalin.
like you, i dont think whats in it really matters - just go cheap!

Warren, Stu and Rik were all last seen in the electric 6 "gay bar" video!

S

Stuart Bullard

Mmmmmm so, brand it as a fishing bait in smaller bags and you can charge twice as much.

Have the lads ditched FM then?

D

Dave Rothery

double the price? most charge about ?30 for 10kg, so ?75 for 25kg.....thats some mark up as it must cost the suppliers about ?2!!

A

Andrew Thomas

I see that in the current edition of AT good old Des is extolling the virtues of Vitoflake , by SBS, a company he of course owns.

I notice some similarity in name to the well known dog food (and method mix) Vitalin.

Could they be in some way related?

C

Cakey

I think Wol is still in Mexico.
I think Rik is still around but not round.
I think Stu is ok and fishing school pool when i spoke to him last night.

R

Robert Woods

Dave,
When I make my vitalin method mix I use 1 pint of red band (boiled in water)..to 1 pint of trout pellets...and add vitalin to suit. But I end up with a crumbly mix. How do you do yours so that it stays on a feeder...?

D

Dave Rothery

if you mean its crumbly after a couple of hours - it does go like that. make some in advance and freeze it. you can catapult it further and it avoids birdlife. if your on a session, make small amounts regularly.

R

Robert Woods

The reason why I use vitalin & seeds is that since I'm limited to day sessions I like to put a bit of feed in instead of pilling in just boillies. Also I don't need to carry my spod gear, I just add chopped boillies to mix and cataplut out. I think spodding on most of the buisy north west waters puts fish off especially on my short sessions.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

I think Wol is still in Mexico.

H'ola

H'ola

H'ola

H'ola

More Tequilla

R

rob d

i use equal amounts of trout pellets and vitalin by volume add some red band
mix together and pour on boiling water