N-Butyric acid

Andy Young

Reaction score
Can I use another solvent instead?
What are my other options?
I have access to various chemicals and wondered if I can save myself a visit in to town!

D

Dave Rothery

why are you using it? how do you mean "another solvent?" it can act as a coagulant under certain cercumstances (some fish oils)

Andy Young

Reaction score
Hi Dave, I ain't put that f/meal recipe up yet, sorry.

It was a question for a mate actually, he's using some high attract baits and was after some N-B A, and knowing where I can obtain similar stuff, i.e. I.P.A.(not from Greene King!), E.A. etc., I wondered what other solvents are okay.

R

rob tudor

IPA and EA are the solvent bases that most of the commercial flavours are made from. This is a whole mine field to get in to but basically IPA iso propyl acetate is used for the creamier flavours ie scopex coconut etc and ethanol alchol is more fruits/spice EA is more water solubile so is better in the winter and low usage. N Butric acid is I believe a by product of milk production. It also smells like 3 day old sick and as a concequence is a fantastic additive to a base mix. 0.5ml-1ml per 6eggs is the range + 2ml of flavour pineapple,plum and cheese are the ones I have used. If you use it you have been warned you will soon be Billy no mates because of the smell. For more info check out the carp strikes back by hutchie he has whole chapter on flavour bases etc. I should have checked before replying but what the hell!

D

Dave Rothery

i'm not sure you will really gain by making your own flavour as most companies reject loads (hundreds!) or any type of flavour before they get things right, so you could have loads of blanks before you get it right. why use a flavour anyway? lots of natural extracts you could use to "label" a bait, with no chance of overloading.

D

Dave Rothery

just wondering about the mix as most i put toghether cost around ?7-8 / kilo - but then i do use a lot of GLM and Liver in them....

D

Dave Rothery

we're feeding fish <a href="http://msds.pdc.cornell.edu/msds/msdsdod/a494/m246524.htm">THIS>/a>

"WARNING! CORROSIVE! PENETRATING AND OBNOXIOUS ODOR. KEEP CONTAINER TIGHTLY CLOSED. CAUSES IRRITATION AND BURNS TO SKIN AND EYES. COMBUSTIBLE."

All things in moderation, eh!

S

Stu Black

prtty nasty stuff that. The 25l of IPA i.ve got in my garage is iso propyl alcohol, not acetate BTW

R

rob tudor

I said in my post should have re read hutchie. I work for a quasi govenment body and half my life is spent deciphering acronymns and capital letters so yes the A in IPA is alcohol hic