River Carping

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Walking the Nene the other day I spotted a group of decent carp. I haven't targeted river carp before and think I might give 'em a go.

Anyone got any views/suggestions on rigs, tactics, etc. that might differ from stillwater set ups or should I just go with what I know?

D

Dave Rothery

river carping by neil wayte is meant to be a good read.
the nene's relatively slow(isn't it?)so stillwater rigs should work? location location location!
some very big fish in the nene.....

D

David Will

Find the fish , pre bait , keep feed to a minimum on the day you fish to avoid Bream grief.Rigs as per stillwater on the slower rivers.Best tip from River Carping book was from Shaun Harrison , that is to take a small match type landing net to net Chub Bream etc ,saves a lot of time.

B

Birds Nest

River Carping is a v good book...

I think there is a Rik atricle on here somewhere... Apparently the trick is prebaiting....

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Somehow the full monty carp gear on rivers just feels alien and wrong to me, don't know why.

I was thinking I might go for more river conventional methods and use stepped up barbel set-ups with running leads rather than bolt rigs, carp rods, pods and alarms etc.

The pre-baiting makes sense as I doubt too many boilies hit the Nene currently.

Doubtless I will get 'plagued' by bream, chub and perhaps the odd decent tench that also live there. But as that's what I would be fishing for normally I won't get too upset.....

RAMMER BERT

Reaction score
also try a cocktail of hemp wheat maggots bait up for a couple of days,hit it then dont fish it again move to another place and do the some i have done this and it works a treat.

S

Stuart Johnson

Coops, what do you mean full monty carp gear on rivers will be alien.

don't you fish for barbs with 2.5tc, pod, alarms and bolt rigs?

C

chris day

With regard to thinking that not too many boilies hit the nene- think again. I fished around peterborough from 1984 to 1990 and the river was filled in with them even then. Remember this river saw some of the best carp anglers from the 60's onwards when the Electicity cut was in operation, and over the years the fish will have seen every bait going. i haven't fished it for a few years, but Chris Berry has written about it in various publications and he practically fills the river in with bait, hemp etc first right up to boilies before fishing.Baiting Pyramid i think it's called- get the small stuff in at the start of prebaiting, then the carp will push them out as you bait with bigger food items. Anything from 3 nights to a week of prebaiting should do you. Hope this helps!

D

Dave O'L

There's a chap in our club who has had quite a bit of success on our stretch. Last season to over 28lb+ & 2 seasons before 34lb+. Unfortunately Dave I don't know 'ow he do it'. I think he does fish nights though.
There's some other big boys that are seen swimming about that have never seen a hook. These are completely wild fish.
The carp lads round here don't appear to want to know about rivers.
I don't understand, am I missing something?

I'm wondering myself, if I'm man enough maybe little old me might have a go too.

D

Dave Rothery

my dad in "a century of carp fishing" for a 26 from the cut in the sixties. just thought i'd mention that! bread was the bait dave ;)

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
Chris, I stand corrected on the boilies, I've only been in peterborough 7 months, so just a bit of winter chubbing under my belt and no summer experience of it yet.

Looking forward to summer on the river though, looks cracking. Wish there were a few more barbel though.....

C

chris day

Best of luck , it's a great river. All I do is river carping and piking now having cut my teeth on the Nene. During the period I was there I saw 3 commons between 35 and 40lb swimming together in a backwater during the close season. What a sight........

S

Stuart Johnson

No sheep on the Dove so you will need to set your sights lower.

Will mail you.

D

Dave Silvers

"Doubtless I will get 'plagued' by bream, chub and perhaps the odd decent tench"

In your dreams Coops!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woudn't we all like to be "plagued by these.

D

Dave Silvers

Stu nice to see you putting in one of your rare appearances.
:eek:)))

S

Stuart Johnson

Hi Dave, hope you are well.

Very busy at work and the new arrival on the home front has kept me occupied.

Will be getting in a lot of fishing now though.

D

Dave Johnson

in your dreams Bro.....

when we having a get together then?

M

Mike Lee

Started at midnight in a swim prebaited with boilies for a week.

First run as the second rod was being cast!

Didn't land the 30 I saw a couple of weeks ago but good runs action nevertheless!

Yep, the Nene has plenty of carp in it.