JUMPING CARP?

rick mullins

Reaction score
1)Is it normal to have a slow fishing day when carp are jumping and I mean leaping right out of the water!?

2)Also, why is it that there are no fish jumping for like 5mins and then 1 jumps and right after a bunch of them jump and not right next to each other either, I'm talking 100 yards apart and then quiet for about 30secs and another jump followed by a bunch of them and then 5mins quiet and so forth?!

(Don't laugh at me )Dolphins communicate by jumping to tell others of a school of bait fish, I wonder if carp do this to communicate in some way for something?
I tried casting to the jumping fish using leger and float and I tried the margins but only one bite on a float which I striked to soon and that was it!

alan strickland

Reaction score
Tench in my area have just finnished spawning,not sure when carp spawn but if there the same as tench they wont be interested until there done.

R

Rodney Wrestt

At this time of year I would have thought it was the fish getting ready for spawning as well but this usually takes place in shallow water with reeds or some other vegitation. Sometimes fish jump just for the sake of it, at other times it's during or after feeding, I am of the opinion they are clearing silt or debris from their gill rakers after feeding on beds of bloodworm or other small foods which are filtered through the silt on the bottom.

C

Cakey

Im just back from spawning and I had a bit of a jump around.

R

Rodney Wrestt

So do you get a 'jump' for every candle on the Cakey....er Cakey? :eek:)

R

Rodney Wrestt

Suppose so you wouldn't have time for any fishin' in between birthdays :eek:)