a question which has burned me

B

Ben hollingworth

im new to this forum and glad i joined. now i get to ask a large number of people the same question. why are carp such a big topic? here on this forum u have a full thred all for carp. that have a large section in most magazines. and arew 1 of the most sort after fish.

why? why do they get such a large following? why isnt there the same feeling about roach or dace? theres nothing wrong with goin down to your local pond with a pt of reds and baggin them all day :)

D

Dave Rothery

lay a 4oz roach next to a 30lb carp......get my drift?
still, each to their own, and remember most of the successful carp guys have progressed from catching minnows on the rivers, thru the roach, tench etc. i do still bream/tench fish, and i sea fish as well.....but i'd rather be carp fishing!

R

Rodney Wrestt

Unfair comparison Dave, a 30lb carp isn't an average sized fish, try laying a 30lb carp next to a 4lb roach and I know which I'd rather have been the captor of, but as you say each to their own and I enjoy catching the odd carp as well but silver fish hold my attention mostly at this time in my life and have done so for 15 years.....but before that I didn't think any fish other than pike existed so I might change my mind again in the future.

D

Dave Rothery

ok, 15lb carp..........and i think most carp anglers are more likely to catch a 30lb carp, than a roach angler a 4lb roach. big carp fishing is more accessible (which is my only gripe with it!) than big roach. i hesitate to say bream or tench, as lots of waters with big carp in them also have big tench/bream - they're just harder to catch.

i think theres also more "behind the scenes" with carping - rigs, baits, etc. thats not to say that pleasure anglers dont care about baits, and there is definately something akin to witchcraft about some match anglers shotting pattern skills!

R

Rodney Wrestt

:eek:)
Dave,
match anglers are using lot of tactics, rigs and baits 'borrowed' from the specimen carp scene. Now the Carp lads are starting to look at the techniques used in the match circuit like groundbaiting and feeding routines as well as some of the rigs used (scaled up of course). It's becoming a circle of knowledge, soon you'll get the specimen gudgeon bug 6oz the target.......maybe :eek:) that's like a 30lb carp next to a 300lb catfish

C

Cakey

99% of the time roach are in most swims lakes and rivers, now where are the carp today ?

R

Rodney Wrestt

The roach have bullied them out the swim? not too difficult, you know how easily the French are spooked......

(hiding under desk) :eek:)

R

Rodney Wrestt

Where I come from it's a desk.....maybe I should have called it a computer station.

D

Dave Rothery

its ok - all carp anglers use bait boats, so couldn't hit you with anything we throw anyway

G

Gary Knowles

"lots of waters with big carp in them also have big tench/bream - they're just harder to catch"

I assume you mean the bream/tench ?

D

Dave Rothery

absolutely. pressured tench are harder to catch than pressured carp. it may be down to scale - a size 6 would be more obvious to a 10lb tench than a 40lb carp?

R

Rodney Wrestt

Dave,
I was going to say I'd better listen out for a buzzing noise coming towards me in the middle of the night then.....but thought better of it.
:eek:)

C

Cakey

Whats a computer station ?
sounds a bit posh for me.
whats a tench/bream or a bream/tench ?
I know what a baitboat is.

D

Dave Rothery

a tench/bream and bream/tench is that funny mush you get after stamping on them at 2 in the morning