Mammoth lakes california

Matthew Nightingale (ACA)

Reaction score
Family holiday is touring around California this Summer and the wife has said that me and the lad can have a days fishing while we are visiting the Mammoth Lakes area. There seems to be a bit of guided fly and bass fishing available. Anyone been?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Beware the bears!

A few years ago we stayed in Mammoth Mountain resort (in summer) and had grizzlies swimming in the pool at night and raiding the dustbins!!! :eek:

Mountain biking down the ski slopes is fun if the fishing doesn't work out!

When I worked in California I did a bit of belly boating (float tubing to you and me!) and had a few bass on spinners. But for the life of me I can't remember the lakes or names! There's plenty of good fishing in California, some of which I found via several visits to Bass Pro (a full day out in its own right!):

Outdoor World Retail Stores - Bass Pro Shops

You will need a licence: California Department of Fish & Game Fishing Fees & Descriptions

Morespiders

Reaction score
Fatal going in a Bass Pro shop, Uncle and I spent nearly a full day in one leaving us a 1000$ light

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
Haven't fished Mammoth but have fished Tioga and Tenaya lakes. Had a few small trout, but Tioga used to have some mammoth (sorry!) browns. Strangely you are supposed to kill all the borwns you catch as they are an alien species that are pushing out the native rainbows!!

I wouldn't worry too much about what you'll catch Matthew you'll be too busy admiring the scenery. Drop me a PM if you want any info I casn send you some pics and give you some suggested routes, etc of you like.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Beware the bears!

A few years ago we stayed in Mammoth Mountain resort (in summer) and had grizzlies swimming in the pool at night and raiding the dustbins!!! :eek:

Unlikely, Neil. There aren't any grizzlies in California.

Yeh, yeh, I know, everyone hates a smart-arse.....

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Well they weren't Polar Bears so I suppose they were Brown? Damn clever at avoiding the bear traps (mini caravan type things) and just stared down the local Police (or wardens perhaps) who were trying to "move them on"! Well over 8ft on their hind legs, very adept at opening skips and bins and generally causing mayhem.

When we camped in Yosemite, the rangers said their biggest problem was with US out of state visitors who insisted on ignoring all advice and were prone to leave so much rubbish and food around that the bears had no fear! They reckoned International tourists and local people where far more in tune and compliant with the rules and regs.

Lovely looking animals but preferably kept at a good distance.

Sean Meeghan

Reaction score
They're black bears and unless they are delinquents they're pretty harmless. Having one check out your tent in the middle of the night in the back country can be a little hard on the nerves though. :eek:

How do you spot a delinquent bear? well the baseball cap and the hoody are a good sign!:cool: