Getting Knotted...

N

nick austin

hi guys...ok...having reasonable success following the last bit of advice i got, but iv'e stumbled across another problem...line breakage.
One of my club waters has a braided hook lenght ban, which means i'm using mono of 8lb as a hooklink.
Whenever i get snagged, or lose a fish (two yesterday), the hooklink breaks at the swivel, leaving the knot still attatched. I use a palomer knot.
I wonder whever the line i'm using may have deteriorated in sunlight, and is breaking at the weakest spot. (My reel line is new and never breaks), or is the knot unsuitable for mono?...
I'm suspending my fishing till i find a solution to this as i cant bear the thought of carp towing my hook lenght around!.....(my leads and other end tackle are always retrieved or safe using clips etc)....any advice would be appreciated?

A

andrew jackson

I think the first question you should ask yourself is, are the snags safe to fish to? If the answer is yes and you would normaly expect to be able to land the fish, then the obvious answer is to change your line for a stronger and perhaps more abrasion resistant line.
Try 12lb hook length and respool with 15lb reel line. To be perfectly honest 8lb line is only sufficient on clear water with no snags or weed. The fact that your line is braking along its length is a good thing, and shows that your choice of knot is not weakening the line.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
I'd check your line and up the BS, I have used the palomar with total confidence for many years. ALWAYS remember to moisten the knot before you tighten it.

C

Cakey

The only thing with palomar knot is the swivel has to be round,if you are using diamond shape swivels this could be the cause. ALWAYS remember to moisten the knot before you tighten it.

N

nick austin

interesting.....i think the ESP swivel i'm using is slightly diamond in profile....My reel line is already 15lb, i'm right on top of the rods in the swim,i'm not actually getting snagged up.....and the line isn't breaking along it's lenght, it's breaking RIGHT on the Knot...thanks for all the advice guys...some food for thought!

G

Glen Howell

Nick,
If you can't use braid then you may want to look at Korda IQ for your hooklength. I have been using 10lb IQ for two seasons and hat yet to have the hooklink fail.

N

nick austin

Thanks glen, i'll get some today!...iv'e heard of it but never used IQ before so i'll give it a go?.....watch this space, i'm sure i'll have tried it out by monday!....went fishing yesterday but got into a shoal of bream so not much of a test for what the other guys suggested!..is it just my lake, or are bream renouned for just swimming straight into your landing net without ANY resistance at all? hahahaahh
Nick

G

Glen Howell

Nick,

Unfortunately changing the hooklink won't stop you catching the snotty's. Some people love to catch them, but i don't see any redeeming features for Bream. I use barbless hooks and have perfected the release of Bream without ever taking them out of the water! I have thrown away too many landing nets covered in slime.

I do use the Palomar knot to tie the hooks to the IQ, but you must wet the knot as the guys have mentioned. It was good enough to land a 14 and a 27 on Wednesday.

Good luck for the weekend.

Cheers

N

nick austin

your'e right there!!....i had four of em in the space of about half an hour. iv'e always said that i'm pleased to catch anything....but those bream were just SO BORING!!!!...lol.

S

Stuart Bullard

Nick, apart from mono, you haven't said what hook link you are using, or did I miss it? i.e. make etc.

I had very similar problems last year when using a fluro hook link, but no problems with ordinary mono. Subsequently I gave on fluro.

No one has commented on your observation about the line breaking down in sunlight. This infers it may be old line? How old? The reason I ask is because I am interested in how long you should keep line before discarding.

Any views?

D

Dave Rothery

i used to change mono 3 or 4 times a season, though that was a weedy water with a lot of pea mussles etc.

D

Dave Rothery

think about it - i works out a, say ?20 per reel per year. some people put out 2kg of boilies per rod which would cost more