Devon Carp

D

Dave Rothery

Anyone know of any decent club or syndicate lakes in north devon - preferably within 20 miles of barnstaple? i know of a couple, but would like some harder fishing for bigger carp if you know what i mean!
mail me if you dont want to post

ta!

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Major john's Lake, 5 acres.
Carp from 21 lbs up to 42 lbs.

Wooda Lakes, Beaworthy.
Carp to 40.

Barnstable bay, thats rock hard if you want a challenge!!!!!!

Good luck Frothy.

D

Dave Rothery

wooda lakes was a myth! its a holiday lake (so you have to be a resident) that never actually got the bigger fish due to "contractural reasons". also they were talking at the time of ?1k+ per year.

thanks tho wol.

L

Les Clark

Dave,How`s your dad getting on with stonner,I hear that a lot of good sized carp are coming out.

D

Dave Rothery

hes had a few, 1 he reckons was 20ish ( he's a tencher that puts out a carp rod, with scales that go to 10lb!)
using redband/trouties with 10mm aminos over the top

D

Dave Silvers

Dave not my area but just trying to help, s'pose you've tried Slade Resv.

BTW its a pretty shit area you live in, not that I'm jealous in any way.

D

Dave Rothery

thanks dave....i know all the "known" ones, its the unknown that i'm after!.

yeah, its crappy here, but what do you do? last murder was 2 years ago, "cat up tree" is front page news and the surfs a lot better than surrey! just wish the carping was too......

D

Dave Silvers

Yeah I fully expected you to know it, just thought I'd try.
Last time I was in your area (about two years ago) I spent most of the holiday taking the wife backwards and forwards to Barnstaple hospital after she broke her foot.
Great area though.
Good luck with the carping.

D

Dave Rothery

my missus works there, its just about all she does this time of year, sort out broken arms/legs/shoulders/wrists and drownings!

D

Dave Silvers

Dave are we called 'emmits' up in N. Devon.
My wife's sister lives in Penzance and she hates emmits.
I justify my presence down there by saying I'm visiting relatives. LOL

D

Dave Rothery

its "grockles" around here.

they all say they hate grocks, but grocks pay all the wages down here (theres not really any industry) and most of the people who live seem to have moved here from the home counties and south-east!

D

Dave Silvers

I'll remember that one.
So just to recap I'm an emmit and a grockle.
Does grockle mean anything, go on I won't be offended.
Emmit is the cornish word for for ant,cos that's what they think we are like, an invasion of ants scurrying all over the place throughout the summer.

W

The grockle is a magical dragon like creature much resembling Cakey.

W

Dave, i'm affraid its true mate. I leave the cooker at home when i fish with the Cakester.

D

Dave Rothery

i'll find out for you dave...might have somrthing to do with cockles - ie in and ut of the water all the time......

you can tell the "townies" as they set up all their windbreaks etc halfway down the beach as the tide coming in, and look suprised in a "i didnt know the sea did that" kind of way when they get washed out!

D

Dave Silvers

Nice one Dave.
Whatever it means it won't be complimentary.

A coupe of years ago my niece from Penzance who's about 19 now was into boogie boarding in a big way, almost lived on the beach throughout the summer.
I suggested to her that she should get a surf board and then I could also have a go.
See looked at me in that way that only teenagers can and said "God that all we need, another two week surfer"

W

'Grockles' is a pejorative term for tourists, applied especially to tourists from the Midlands or the North of England.

It was first noted in Devon during the 20th Century and has spread over time throughout the West Country, notably to Cornwall where there is a particular resentment against tourists, to please whom quiet villages are infested with grotesque plastic pixies (or piskies, in the Cornish language).

The term is sometimes seen on T-shirts - 'I'm not a grockle, I live here' - but these are almost exclusively worn by grockles, as no self-respecting Cornishman would be seen dead in such a garment.

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the term was first popularized by characters in the film The System (1962), set in the Devon resort of Torquay during the tourist season. According to research by a local journalist in the mid-1990s, the word originated from a cartoon in the children's comic Dandy entitled 'Danny and his Grockle' (a magical dragon-like creature). A local man, who had had a summer job at a swimming pool as a youngster, said that he had used the term as a nickname for a small elderly lady who was a regular customer one season. During banter in the pub among the summer workers, the term then became generalized as a term for summer visitors.