Rod finish

R

Richard Drayson

Hi all,

I suspect a few of you out there enjoy building or repairing their own rods.
I'm currently finishing off a bass rod for a mate who wanted it re-rung with genuine Fujis.
During the process, I had to remove some of the varnish and am now at the stage of having to re-varnish parts of the blank using some rod finish (Not high build)
I am using a product from a company called Swift but find that it doesn't flow well at all and starts to go off in a few minutes. I'm going to bin it.
Does anyone have any recommendations for me to try?
Perhaps just a standard clear polyurethane would be better???

R

Ron Clay

Personally I would try to scrape all the varnish off the blank and only put the epoxy on the whippings.

When I used to build fly rods I often used plain old long setting araldite on the whipping then put them on a spinning machine in a clean evironment to set

I like matt fishing rods very much.

R

Richard Drayson

If it was one of my own rods I'd do exactly as you say Ron.
Unfortunately, the rod originally had a varnish coat and not only that, the butt section is partially spray painted and has logos/transfers on it.
BTW. The high-build I'm using is Seymo Quick-Pro Epoxy. Very Good to use and the finish is superb. Others I have tried in the past include Gibbs Rod Wrap and Hard'N'Fast by Gudebrod I think.
The Seymo stuff dries quite fast though but is better if you're unable to find a completely dust free environment as it has set fast before too much dust has had a chance to ruin the finish.
Unlike some of the stuff which takes 24 hours to set fast.