Modern Carp Angling

D

Dave Rothery

Absolutely spot on Graham, next "which bait shall i use...." thread gets pointed at this!

R

Ron Clay

We could all go back to fishing a free-lined bait of balanced crust and paste on a Mk IV.

I've caught several carp, not big ones, but up to 22lbs like this, in England over the past few years.

L

Les Clark

I don`t belive it will stagnate,a high % of carp angler`s will come and go,and the same with bait`s.
Boilies will blow as they do and be revamped every couple of years.
Carp fishing is a on going learning curve,getting the edge on the carp and getting the edge over the next bloke.
Rig`s and bait are on a cycle,it`s a matter of getting it right.
This is what keep`s me going,after all it`s been aprox 60yrs since **** Walker started it all(apart from Walton that is),I feel it`s safe for a 100yrs or so.

D

Dave Rothery

"We could all go back to fishing a free-lined bait of balanced crust and paste on a Mk IV."
change crust to maggots and mkIV to bruce ashby's and it wouldn't be a million mile from what i was doing tuesday night.......i bet walker wishes he had pva bags.....

R

Ron Clay

Good old Dave!

Personally I just cannot get enthusiastic about carp and by crikey I've tried.

D

Dave Slater

An excellent article Graham. Like Ron I cannot get too enthusiastic about carp. I used to do a lot of carp fishing until about 20 years ago. Things have changed dramatically since then. You rightly pointed out that swim selection is the main part of watercraft that still exists. On most carp waters I know this is no longer relevant as many of the swims are permanently occupied by long stay anglers. As I like to be able to move about and do my own thing river fishing is better for me these days. With the increased popularity of barbel fishing river fishing could eventually go the same way as carp fishing. If this happpens it may well be time to hang up my rods. Simplicity and watercraft are what fishing is all about to me. There are still one or two estate lakes which can be fished in the way I prefer. The fish aren't huge but so what. As I am struggling on the rivers at the moment a re-read of your article could well inspire me to visit one of these lakes for a bit of short session carping Graham.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
That's the secret to enjoying any kind of fishing Dave - set your own values, your own standards, and don't be too influenced by what others are catching.

Which doesn't mean you shouldn't aim to catch a 40lb carp if that's what you want, just that waiting for the best swims and putting in lots of time go with the territory, for most anyway, and that's something you have to accept or you shouldn't be doing it.

Simple really, do what you're happy doing and let that be enough.

These days a lot of my carp fishing is floater fishing, because that's what I enjoy most. I'm not likely to catch the biggest fish in the lake with that method, but do I care? Do I hell!

I learned a long time ago that the fish in my landing net should be the result of how much I enjoyed myself trying to catch it, and not just the result of a determined ambition to catch the biggest.

I hope that makes sense.

D

Dave Slater

Makes perfect sense to me Graham. I think we have the same approach to fishing. I hope you are managing to get out fishing after your op.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Not yet Dave, I can't drive for a while and I'm still a bit sore. Only had the stitches out on Monday.

R

Ron Clay

I have very much the same attitude to angling as Graham. After all we are contempraries, I am a few weeks older than Graham, we grew up being influenced by Mr Crabtree and **** Walker.

I always remember what **** told me once. He said, in horrible Yorkshire accent:

"If tha not enjoying it mate, go home and get pissed, or geraaht and knock off a bird!!"

I didn't think he meant me to go out and shoot a pheasant either.

He knocked off many birds in his life too!!

What a lovely man.

L

Les Clark

Takeing carp off the top,for me that is the dog`s b`s,not very good at it,but when I catch this way,the buzz is great,and I can fish with the minimum of tackle,and may be for only 4or5 hrs,but the reward`s can be very good.

R

Ron Clay

Here's a tip for taking carp off the top: use a fluorocarbon hooklength.