Centrepin maintenance/rescue

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Oh dear....I am normally extremely fastidious about cleaning & oiling my pins but have just rediscoverd my sadly neglected Adcock Stanton which has virtually seized up on me. I managed to get the spool off and the spindle was bone dry. I've cleaned it and oiled it and its a bit better but far from good.

I'm terrified of making things worse. :eek: Any ideas ? I cant see or feel any obvious corrosion but its so tight it hardly spins now whereas it was very free running.Never had this happen before but I've not used this reel for a couple of years now whereas the others all get used or played with regularly.

Can't remember what oil was on it before it went away...to be honest I'd forgotten all about this reel and only found it looking for something else.

Skippy

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Woah! Go easy! Far better virtually nothing of something harmless than the same or even far far less of 666 (e.g. Three In One oil).

So...

A tentative DROP (singular) of Singer Sewing Machine Oil initially on the spindle (NOT dropped into, onto or anywhere near the ball-race bearing).

Maybe a cautious and very brief (and, even then, still immediately wiped off with an absorbent cloth) squirt of GT85 (from Halfords).

Don't, whatever you do, OIL it. Just "tease" the reel back into a half-free-running condition, then spin / fish it. Don't put oil into the bearing, for it will ultimately thicken and seize the thing up.

Gently, gently, gently....

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think a brand new set of bearings are only between 10 and 15 notes. You could fit them yourself or better still send your reel off to Gary mills at Mill tackle for a service. He'll have it sorted while your still thinking about it. Last time I had a reel serviced off him it was 25 squid plus a fiver for return post.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Dont arce around Skip, get the bearing rinsed in paraffin, give it a good dousing and soaking (Esso blues):D good stuff, that will get the clogged up cra/ite out get a tooth brush and clean the lot, rinse in a strong washing up liquid, rinse well in hot water , shake dry, dry the whole reel with tissue paper and leave to dry somewhere warm, then get some 3 in one oil on it, jobs a gudun, dont mess about with all them secret oils.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I agree with the grease-strip (I don't wuss about and use a small volume of petrol / lighter fuel used as a soak in a shallow container and strictly outdoors), but as for then blobbing on some sure-to-thicken-and-gunk-up 3 In One ... er ... nils points!

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ok Singer sewing machine oil is fine, been using 3 in One on my centrepins for 40 years never had any problems, ok i dont have any with ball races in, having said that i personally think on a trotting reel a ball race is overkill anyway, a spindle and bush is adequate, even some of the £500 bonefish/ tarpon game reels dont have ball races,

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Tigger : Ta...I've had other reels brought back from the dead by Gary.Top man

Paul : So far that's exactly what I've done bar the initial proper de-gunk. I'll start over and do it properly.

Spiders : What...no brillo pad ?

All my other pins do well on a diet of Singer. This one [like Spiders] has always been a bit of a scallywag.:D

Skippy

the indifferent crucian

Reaction score
Some people have a bit of a downer on 3 in 1 oil and WD40, but they do have their uses....the WD40 can be used to purge out any corrosion en masse and the 3 in 1 oil can be used to neutralize and reduce any which remains.

Working the reel with 3 in 1 in it should get shot of the corrosion which has expanded and caused the friction inside. The you can clean it all out and lube up with the oil of your choice.

Personally all my centrepins are run on 3 in 1, but I do clean them regularly and perhaps that is why I have never had a problem with it. If a reel has blind holes, or difficult to access areas, they can be cleaned with cotton buds very well.