'Killer Pike' removed from lake

Nathan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has already been put on the site but I just read a story on the BBC website with the headline "Killer pike removed from Par duck pond" apparently it was anglers that had complained.

The part that made me chuckle was this;

"These fish are not native to Cornwall and have been illegally introduced," Robert Hurrell, of the Environment Agency.

I thought pike were a native species that can be found across msot of Europe?

Full story here: BBC News - Killer pike removed from Par duck pond

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
"In some ponds and lakes, pike have been known to supplement their diet by eating ducklings or water voles - and even other pike."

above is from the BBC pages - wow eat other pike - what next

Surely some pike eat small dogs, cats and even toddlers - come on BBC get the boot in on fishing when you can

"Fisheries officers believe the pike population could increase and spread to other waters unless steps are taken to remove them"

Not sure how the pike will spread to other waters if left - will they walk?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
"In some ponds and lakes, pike have been known to supplement their diet by eating ducklings or water voles - and even other pike." above is from the BBC pages - wow eat other pike - what next

Maybe with a little training we could teach them to eat . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Bleedin' CORMORANTS!

Rickrod

Reaction score
It was on the local news last night. The biggest one was only about 6lb and this guy was holding it up for the camera saying this will be eating 10 to 15 fish a day and the ducklings.I was told the complaint came from the fishery down stream from the pond .Pike were illegal in cornwall right up until the late 70s and the first lot of pike came from grafham.

Nathan

Reaction score
To be honest i thought it was a ridiculous article. So because pike eat fish we should get rid of them? By the same taken surely cormorants should be 'got rid of' for eating fish? There was no mention that pike actually help to maintain a healthy water by eating the sick/dying fish. Same old BBC.....

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
the comment from the person from the EA is typical and yet another reason why i will not be buying a licence,where do these people get their information from, by the way pike eat the whole fish not just bits of it as otters do will the EA get rid of them if asked to? the bbc is anti angling and will continue to be so perhaps i wont get a tv licence either.

quickcedo

Reaction score
The EA are a well known joke. As is the beeb. Haven't had a tv for years coz I wont bolster there coffers. If I could get away with it i wouldn't buy a rod licence either.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Watch animal24/7 on bbc and see what gets said about angling on there. Also on the bbc i watch a kids program call smart with Bill oddie as a guest and the program had nothing to do with angling and oddie drew a picture and before you saw what he had drawn he started to say o this is bad children its so bad it some anglers discarded hooks and fishing line and that was his picture.

richiekelly

Reaction score
The EA are a well known joke. As is the beeb. Haven't had a tv for years coz I wont bolster there coffers. If I could get away with it i wouldn't buy a rod licence either.

if it wasnt for watching moto gp and superbikes on eurosport i dont think i would either,they are the nearest i get to bikes now as i am to knackered to ride myself now still miss my bikes though although not the speeding fines.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
It was on the local news last night. The biggest one was only about 6lb and this guy was holding it up for the camera saying this will be eating 10 to 15 fish a day and the ducklings.I was told the complaint came from the fishery down stream from the pond .Pike were illegal in cornwall right up until the late 70s and the first lot of pike came from grafham.

Pike were illegal? What, Class A pike? There have been pike in Cornwall since the last Ice Age. I've caught them from Porth and elsewhere.

What a load of airheads the BBC employs these days

coelacanth

Reaction score
Pike were illegal? What, Class A pike? There have been pike in Cornwall since the last Ice Age.

Cornwall had a very depauperate fish fauna post-glaciation, really only euryhalines and diadromous, the river gradients and general topography helped with this. Along with other coarse fish, Pike didn't make it back other than maybe just into easternmost Kernow.

Rickrod

Reaction score
Pike were illegal? What, Class A pike? There have been pike in Cornwall since the last Ice Age. I've caught them from Porth and elsewhere.

What a load of airheads the BBC employs these days

ha ha class A Ive had them from there too .The pike in porth were also put in there illegally about 14 years ago.It was collage resevoir that first brought the pike to cornwall to try and control the bream for the carp fishing that was on there at the time.Remember this was the 70s and porth was a trout water