Great Weekend at Peter's Place

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I would just like to publicly thank FM Moderator Peter Jacobs for hosting a terrific End-of-Season party for myself and a bunch of mates at his place in Wiltshire.

We had a day's coarse fishing on the upper Stour on Saturday and a days' fly fishing (courtesy of Richard) on Avon Springs on Sunday.

The dinner party on Saturday at the local hostelry was a landmark for some as they ordered (and ate) ostrich, wildebeest, bison, zebra and kangaroo. I stuck to rump steak but I did have a taste of Peter's kangaroo, and very nice it was too! And all self-cooked on black volcanic rock.

There are a few pics of the fly fishing here on my Flickr pages if anyone would care to take a look. (Three of the pics are from last year).

Thanks Peter! It's true what we've always said about you, you're a diamond and a true gent!

And to show my gratitude I haven't used a single smilie in this post.:)

Oops!

Graham

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Graham.

It is always a pleasure to host the weekend; some fishing, great company and good food and a few drinks to go with it.

I think that was the 4th End Of Season Dinner we've had since I got back from the wilds of Houston, and each one seems to get better.

And before I forget, whoever left behind a black fleece let me know and I'll post it on.

As I've not used one this month, the weekend has to deserve one of these

:w

Tight lines.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nice one Peter, shame I couldn't pop in on Friday evening.

Who came up with the phrase "He could bl**dy catch fish in a puddle!"?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
A certain member of the party had some nice trout (one of which is in my freezer) but he was fishing the aquarium peg so it was to be expected ;) whilst me the noob was put in the hardest peg on the lake so I never caught any :eek:.

I don't care though because the being there was ample sufficient enjoyment for me and I enjoyed every last minute of it thanks to the good company and a great host.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me what I missed and, yes, I'm fine now, thanks for asking.......... :wh

"I would just like to publicly thank FM Moderator Peter Jacobs for hosting a terrific End-of-Season party for myself and a bunch of mates at his place in Wiltshire."

As for Grahams comment above, I'm sure Peter will forgive him... it should have read:

"at his place, Wiltshire."

:D

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
A certain member of the party had some nice trout (one of which is in my freezer) but he was fishing the aquarium peg so it was to be expected

The same certain member of the party was also accused of having a lucky fly so he cut it off and gave it to his certain namesake, and then caught on another one......:p

---------- Post added at 07:48 ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 ----------

I hear someone fluked a nice rainbow

First fish of the day as well Steve. And what a scrap on the 5lb line.:)

Oh, and before anyone else tells you, I didn't try to nobble Richard by giving him some 10lb line instead of 5lb; it was a genuine mistake.:eek:

---------- Post added at 07:50 ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 ----------

As for Grahams comment above, I'm sure Peter will forgive him... it should have read: "at his place, Wiltshire."

Oops.

Oh, and I hope you're better now Cyclops.;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, and I hope you're better now Cyclops

Cyclops . . . . . love it!

Its a pity you missed it Neil, but you can be assured of a place at next seasons table.

In the meantime, how about mid May for some of those hardy Browns from the lower Itchen?

If you can see them that is . . . . . . . . cyclops LOL

---------- Post added at 09:24 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Who came up with the phrase "He could bl**dy catch fish in a puddle!"?

Not sure of its heritage Steve, but it was me that used it.

It is true too, Mr. Marsden could probably catch fish from a puddle . . . . . . . . . pity we were fishing the upper Stour on Saturday and not a puddle though . . . . . . .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Now come on, be fair, I did catch one chub and that was one more than some!

Well, that was one fish more than I caught - and GW and I had the cold section high on the banks, freezing wind etc., while you 'lot' had the suntrap swims.

Local knowledge methinks . . . . .

[insert U-No-Wot > > > > > HERE]

Reaction score
Yes I feel rather left out too. My personal invite must have gone astray Peter. Maybe you sent me an FM PM but it didn't reach my inbox for some strange reason.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Maybe Peter, you might want to invite Corker and me down to sometime in the closed season to try out your fly rods.

ps if you do invite Corker and myslef remember to provide a spade - he likes to dig lttle holes in the garden for his "Deposits";bp

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I never realised that I was so popular, or maybe its the wining and dining and the lovely Trout fishing that holds the key.

I reckon that for next year I'll have to sell tickets for the event with all proceeds going to a suitable charity.

As for a fly fishing session, I'll be offering a day Dry Fly Fishing on the Itchen a little later for Cakey's auctions if you two are really interested . . . .

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
For me Peter - it would be the shrill of meeting you, imagine the scene if you will
You turning up to fish and me sat in a Korum accessory chair (yes please Korum - all the free advertising I do for you) and as I turn to greet you (I'm stroking a pure white pussy (cat) as I do so) I said
"At last Mr James - we finally meet"

I'd have thought a gent like you would have bid for the day with the PaSc - who get to stay with Poshers, meet me and Matt and have your wallet emptied by Spiders

Still the day fly fishing with sounds promising - providing I win what time can I expect the car to fetch me?

Matt shall we joint bid for the day - I'm sure both of us would double Peter's enjoyment