a question for dave rothery

• Thread starter Richard Bytheway
  • Start date
R

Richard Bytheway

in a method mix thread you say that csl pellets are the same as ewe nuts/pellets ? is this true ?
if it is im gutted cos i been paying far too much for them and a farm supplie is only 5mins down the road.

D

Dave Rothery

you'd have to ask a bait company. all i can say is they look and smell the same, and the fish seem to like them just as well. there are many others on here using them

D

Dave Rothery

women are fine, but you cant beat the real thing....

C

Cakey

What worries me is the tackle shops wont drop their prices but the the farm suppliers will up theirs when they realise that theres a couple of million fishermen want them.

D

Dave Rothery

dont let them know your a fisherman cakey. we buy a tiny %. most of the farmers i know buy it buy the ton, not the odd 25kg sack. same as mollases - they were quoting for a 250ltr barrel.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Dave's right about not letting them know you're an angler. One farm supplier I know has two lists, one for farmers and one for anglers, and they make a point of asking what you want the product for before they produce the relevant list. The difference in price for exactly the same product is about 50% dearer for anglers, no matter what quantity you buy.

Shop around as well, even amongst farm suppliers. I buy sheep feed pellets ('CSL' pellets) for ?4.00 for 25kg. And there are loads of other feed pellets that are excellent for fishing as well. Have a look at Chinchilla pellets from a pet food wholesaler.

S

Stuart Bullard

What is in Chinchilla Graham?

By the way, I think you will find that the dual price list is not legal.

D

Dave Rothery

cant stop it.....no rrp anymore, so you can charge what you like.

D

Dave Rothery

go to a motor factors and buy a part and tell them your in the trade, you'll get it much cheaper than "retail". no different is it?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I don't know what's in the chinchilla pellets but they don't look and smell much different than what some people are labelling 'hemp pellets'.......

The suppliers I referred to get away with it by calling the farmers price list 'trade prices'.

R

Richard Bytheway

Most interesting . thank you very much.
when i buy my hemp from the farm supplies i get some strange looks and comments like --
( you cant grow that stuff you know. and that stuff no good you need to go to amsterdam for the propper stuff.)

A

andrew jackson

My local farm supplies have their own pelleting plant and now supply pellets that have been formulated specifically with fishing in mind. They are similar to the yew nuts but have a higher protien content. Unfortunatly the guy behind the counter of our local branch knows nothing about their formulation, so he was unable to answer my questions. He was however appologetic that they were slightly more expensive than the yews because of this. They are ?5.25 a sack, a few pence more than the yews.

D

Dave Rothery

andy - you know that you can buy yew nuts with different protein contents? i get the higher (about 65% or so they tell me) about ?4.30/25kg

maybe you should take in a sack of base mix?

A

andrew jackson

Oh that was funny my post disapeared.
They cant process fish or animal derived meals because of new EEC rules. It was one of the first things to cross my mind when I learned they made their own pellets. ;o)

C

Cakey

cant wait for the carp to eat egg and bacon ,be a lot simpler.