hangers or swingers?

J

jim turner

i've just bought a new rod set up but it didn't inclued any form of bite indication. most of my fishing is short to medium range and so i was interested to see what people would reckonmend, hangers or swingers. any help would be appriecated. :)

S

Stu Black

Ive had the most fun with swingers, but some of the hangers do seem to try hard.

J

jim turner

ok i borrowed one of my mates hangers for a while they were only cheap ones but i had some problems with the retaining clip it seemed hard to unclip from the line, once restulting in the pod being lifted up! any suggestions to get round this?

S

Stu Black

I've also had problems when borrowing a mates hanger, it s often slack where as i prefer tight lines.

Sorry Jim, im on the wrong forum here!!

J

jim turner

ok well cheers for the advice i might buy some of the fox hangers which i saw. tight lines!

L

Les Clark

Ive been useing fox hanger`s but I found the line clip hard to adjust,ether too slack or too tight,plus the clip Is prone to break, being plastic.
Ive only just changed to fox mk2 swinger`s with the line gate,but as yet I havent had a chance to use them.

L

Les Clark

Sily git!,around the other way if you see what I mean.

N

nick austin

strangely.....iv'e just moved from swingers to hangers. I'm experimenting hanging them from the butt rest, so they pull the line straight down from the spool.....as another question.....i cant help thinking that plenty of people arn't entirely sure how to set up either hangers or swingers correctly......any of you experts fancey giving us a quick run down regarding weight positioning...etc?

D

Dave Rothery

personally.....
just enough weight to counteract wind/drag
drop of a couple of inches

i normally use "running" (if they are such a thing!) rigs, at short to mid range. if i was using heavy fixed leads, specially at range, i'd use loads of weight, with the line really tight, ie at the top, as i dont want false bleeps from wind, and any takes i get the fish will be hooked already.

N

nick austin

I think thats about what i do, just enough weight to keep it all in place. Presumably the weight aids indication for drop backs etc?...i read an interesting article recently about tight lines "v" slack, and in it the guy also demonstrated how much sideways movement could be achieved before indicators sounded. Quite alarming, and something i'm beginning to think much more about rather than just hanging on the weights....one more thing then, on some fox hangers, the "lever" part actually allows you to provide "negative" weight, behind the fullcrum of the swinger, whats that for?.....i sometimes set up balanced right at this point.....