Frozen Boilies

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
I ordered some frozen Boilies on thursday mid day, with next day delivery. They didnt turn up until Monday and were put in the freezer monday evening. I have had a refund and have been told to keep the boilies. I have had a look and they look fine, but will they be any good. I have been told of them getting mouldy, there doesnt seem to be any mould. They were wrapped well in bubble wrap before placed in a cardboard box! Any help on whether I should use them or just chuck them away.

Cheers

Jon

S

Stuart Bullard

Dave - I have re-frozen my Activ 8's loads of times and it doesn't seem to make a jot of difference. Should you not do this?

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
What is the best way to air dry them? I just bought an air dry bag, is it just stick them in that and hang in a warm dry place?

Cheers

Jon

B

Birds Nest

how many times would you refreeze something with Eggs in, and eat it yourself?

I always air/pellet dry mine once they have defrosted...

B

Birds Nest

To air dry I put them in my landing net and hang in the airing cupboard, or drop them in a bucket of Pellet..

D

Dave Rothery

yeah bn, but fish eat their own s**t!!

stu - i've re-frozen bait i've defrosted once, but i dont know if i'd do it two or three times. a lot of baits these days are "active" and i'd thought you'd screw the enzymes/aminos by repeatedly freezin/heating baits, though i'm probably wrong.
definately wouldn't do it with milk protein baits, but who uses them anymore?
fishmeals are actually better a couple of days after defrosting, when they start going mouldy - thats the bait breaking down, so very "active"

Jon - i'd do as bn says with regards to drying

S

Stuart Bullard

Birds nest - I thought it had been proven that any resulting bacteria do not harm the fish at all. What is the difference by air drying them? You still have raw egg in it.

And do they all have egg?

Obviously if it is a definite no no, then I will stop.

D

Dave Rothery

its killing the bacteria i'm worried about!
thinking about it, it probably doesn't make any difference!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Even when boilies develop a little white powder on them they'll be okay if you roll them round in a plastic bag that's been coated with the appropriate dip. Good for reviving them just the once anyway.

D

Dave Rothery

keep the white powder and sell it as "amino powder" at ?25/50 grams...

B

Birds Nest

True true.. Point taken, I suppose its one of those confidence things... I personally would rather dry them out rather than refreeze 'em..

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
Cheers Guys, good news then, as they are fish meal boilies so should be fine and FREE!!

Wish I'd ordered more!!!

Cheers

Jon

A

andrew jackson

I would just keep them in the freezer and use them as needed. Why mess with them any further any potential damage (pesonaly I think none of conciquence) will have already been done. To dry them now is a bit like closing the gate after the horse has bolted.
Besides that, there will be a period of time whilst the bait dehydrates where it will be suceptable, and it is fair to asume that it will already have a slightly higher bacterial loading.

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
Dave,

They were from the Tackle Box, but to be fair they were great about it. It was the delivery company's fault (Parcel Force), the box said frozen on it and they still didnt deliver it on time.

Cheers for your help everyone!

Jon

D

Dave Rothery

i've always found the tackle box top notch - any mistakes are sorted quickly and what a line up of staff! some whinge about the odd quid here and there, but i'd much rather pay a bit extra for the quality of service.

Jonathan Williams

Reaction score
They were very good, no arguments, they just gave me a refund and appologised! they might want to change delivery companies though!!

cheers

jon